If I change my Gmail address will it also change on my Android phone?
Question by Achraf52 /

If I did delete my Gmail inbox and change my primary email address would it also change on my Android smartphone on the next sync?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Edgar Meixueiro

You have to change that manually.

• jrasulev

You need to create a new account on your phone, as google services attached to your gmail account will no longer be reachable

• Declan Lopez

you would have to go into Google Play and add your new account

• Declan Lopez

sorry, you would have to go into your gmail app and add the new account

• Kannon Y

You have a primary e-mail account associated with your phone – and it can most effectively be changed through a factory reset. For most versions of Android, this can be accomplished by going to settings -> privacy -> factory reset.

Do NOT perform this if you have a custom ROM installed. It will probably brick your handset. Instead (if you have a custom ROM and a custom recovery) perform the reset from your recovery. VERY IMPORTANT.

Anyway, it sounds like you have another Google account, with different apps purchased, that you’d like to associate with your phone.

You don’t need to erase the inbox in Gmail – however, this would sync with your handset’s inbox and it would remove whatever e-mails were there previously, after syncing. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, you cannot change your primary e-mail address through Google’s account settings interface.

For more information, and alternative methods, see the link below:

http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/google-android/articles/91517.aspx

• Achraf52

First I only have one Google account, then I don’t want to keep this Gmail inbox, so I know how to remove Gmail only to resplace it with my primary address, but as Android is associated with it I would like to know if it would automatically be changed as it is the same Google account that is already associated which would have Email change .

• Kannon Y

Forgive me if I have misunderstood. Also, I may not be fully informed on the subject material, so please keep that in mind.

Unless I am mistaken, it seems that you have a primary Google account and then, for security purposes, you have associated a secondary e-mail account, which is also a Gmail account, in the event you lose your password. The key here is that your secondary account is both an account AND an e-mail address.

So, the secondary account contains an e-mail address, but is otherwise a stand-alone Gmail account. From what I’ve read, it seems that all Gmail addresses represent independent Google Accounts, with separate access to Google’s services.

So even if you change the association of a secondary account to a primary, that’s only for security purposes. It will not impact the primary account on your phone. The easiest way to get rid of that account is through a factory reset. Sorry if I didn’t fully understand the question.

you have to configure that inside your android
    1) settings —> applications —> manage applications,
    2) scroll down to “Google Apps” and click it to enter it
    3) click on the “Clear data” button
    4) reboot or click the back button until you get back to your home screen
    5) pull down the notification menu and click on the message “Your account must be updated” Follow the onscreen instruction till you get to where it asks you to “create” or “sign in”

How to Change Primary Email Account with Android
    http://www.pandawillforum.com/showthread.php?3029-How-to-Change-Primary-Email-Account-with-Android

Go to Settings.
    Select Accounts and Sync.
    Click on your @murraystate.edu email account under Manage Accounts.
    Click Remove Account, confirm.
    Click Add Account and proceed through the wizard to setup the new account.
    After clicking finish, click on the new address under Manage Accounts and choose which items you wish to sync.

• Alan Wade

As Bruce said, and Yes I do understand your question, if you delete your primary Gmail account you will need to add a new account.

• Achraf52

In Android my primary account is the current Gmail account which I could not delete, so if I do add another Google account would I be able to make it primary to delete the old one ? note I’m not referring to Email application rather the associated account that let us download from Google Play service .

• Achraf52

If I delete my Gmail could I create another one using the same Google account ?

• Vipul Jain

Umm, let me be clear, 1 Google account holds for your Youtube, Gmail, Play store, iGoogle, Maps, Orkut, Calender, Blogger & other “G” services.
      So you cannot delete your Gmail account as one entity, you will have to delete your entire Google account that deleted all your data on above listed G partners.
      So if you delete the google account, the android device will show an invalid account synced & ask for new credentials in which case you will have to register on google again to get new id that will work for all above sites!

• Achraf52

Let me teach you something, you can delete Gmail but keep your Google account, so next time go DO research .

It would not “automagically” change. You will need to reconfigure your email on the phone to reflect the new email address.

• Achraf52

Hi, as I think you didn’t understand my question, on Android there is an associated account which is what let us download apps and currently it is named as my current Gmail address but once I delete my Gmail account a new external email would be my primary address so I ask if Android would automatically reflect the change as the user could not delete the account to add again .