How can I change fonts within a message in Mozilla Thunderbird?
Question by Allan Bilder /

Previous incarnations of Thunderbird allowed me to change fonts within an outgoing message on the fly. Example: the title of a book should be italicized, or so I was taught in junior high school about 60 years ago.

Firefox 3.x appears not to allow this, so I’ve gone back to Netscape 7.2. I’d like to use Thunderbird as my application, but not without italics, underlining, bold face type et. al.

Is ther any way to change fonts within a message, and if so how?

• Havaidabtool

Open Mozilla Thunderbird and set the program to use HTML formatting for email messages. Go to the “Tools” menu and select “Account Settings.” Choose the account you want to change the default font for and check “Compose messages in HTML format.” Hit “OK” and return to the main Thunderbird window.

Choose “Options” from the Tools menu and then select “Composition.” Click on the “General” tab.

Look for the HTML section of the “General” tab. Here you’ll find font options. You can choose a default font, a font size and a font color. These selections will be used as your default settings for every email you send until you change them.

Click the “Send Options” button and look for the HTML options section. Click “Send the message in both plain text and HTML.” This way, recipients who receive email in HTML do see the font and color you have selected and those who do not receive their email in HTML cannot see your font variations but still receive the text of your email.

Hit the “OK” button. Test your settings by creating a new Mozilla Thunderbird email and type a few lines. The text should appear according to the new default font settings.

when you compose / write an eMail in Thunderbird, you can edit the font in the body of the eMail. You can change the font, its size, color, whether it’s bold, in italics, underlined etc.

There is a WYSIWYG font editing bar between the Subject line and the eMail body.

Which version of Thunderbird did you try?