How can I change a file association to a program not listed in the Windows ‘Set Your Default Programmes’ list??

Schahriar August 19, 2011

A software like KM Player has been used for a while. I installed another software which was capable of playing media files. Most of the file-type associations has been reset to the new software and cannot be changed using the preferences/options of either of them.

I don’t want to change the association manually one by one. I thought using Windows built-in ‘Set Your Default Programmes’ tool can be useful in this case. Unfortunately, I cannot add software to the existing list.

Would you please help me with this issue?

Shahriar,

did you find a solution in the meantime? What did the trick? Please let us know. Thank you. Tina.

2. Akash D

Just check the prefrences of KM Player.
    Although i dont use it but there might be settings to associate file types..!
    like most players have..

Try this application called Types which is a small, open source utility to help you reconfigure file associations.

If that fails, this article, but be sure to export your registry first (file -> export).

Hi
    If you uninstalled that soft reinstal again, then choose a video file and right click on it go to properties and change it yo KMPLAYER so see if this will change for all of your video files?

try running KMPlayer as admin (right click the exe, 'Run as Administrator'), then try to set all associations, and exit - see if it helps

or use above method again, possible when you uninstalled that soft corrupted media file association. You can also uninstal kmplayer and reinstal again to get back association.

• Schahriar

Thank you ha14,

The problem still. by this sentence I exactly meant what you have mentioned:
      "As I said the software association preferences is not capable of this."
      Do you know any other way except software settings?

Actually, if you right click on a file and chose "properties" and in the "General" tab (default) you can change the application it opens with. Changing this will effect all files of that extension, so if you do this to a .mp4 file and make it open with "KM Player", all files of .mp4 file types should now open with KM Player.

If that fails, you can still do it via the command line. Type assoc .MP4="PATH"

Replace .MP4 with the file type you want to change and replace "PATH" with the path to the executable with which you want to open it with. Restart required. You can read more on the assoc command here

Not that it's important, but VLC plays every imaginable audio/video file you could think of. 

• Schahriar

Thanks Mr Fabish,

The problem is there are like 50 different audio and video file types. It is difficult to change the association one by one. I am looking for a way to apply a batch change. To force all audio/video files to be played with km player again. As I said the software association preferences is not capable of this.