How can I change my Facebook relationship status without notifying everyone?
Question by Dmitriy /

Before Facebook changed its design a while ago, there was a way for a person to change their relationship status without it showing up on every friends’ news feed, thus avoiding the possible drama and such. However, that way is no longer possible, and I want to know whether or not is there a new way that could be achieved. Greatly appreciated.

• Antcar90

I added my relationship status and saved it says its waiting on confirmation but the other person never got the request. So they added me on there’s and its the same I never got the request any one know why

For those who think it is not working anymore, many facebook options will keep playing hide n seek by changing their locations, but they are still there.
    open : http://goo.gl/8Giwz

Those who want to hide it set it to only me or selected friends

For similar details :
    Read my instructions here :
    (and also the warning!)
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/change-relationship-status-facebook-people-knowing/#comment-340101606

• guest

my relationship status ISN’T getting published and i want it to!!! anyone know how to fix it?

• Jfduque

DON’T DO IT! Just tried it and no matter what setting you have it on (even if ‘Only Me’ can see it), once you change your relationship status it gets published!

• guest

Every time Facebook changes it gets MORE DIFFICULT! For Pete’s sake Facebook, STOP IT! Just STOP IT!!!

• Paulina

THANK YOU JESSICA, VERY HELPFUL!!

• Jessica Cam W.

Just reiterating what Jack said:

1. Click on “Account” on the top right corner of facebook.com > select “Privacy Settings”
    2. Click on “Profile Information”
    3. On the fifth line that says “Family and Relationship”, click on the drop-down menu and select “Custom”
    4. On the new dialog box, choose to “Make this visible” to “Only Me” (or “Specific People” if you want your boyfriend/girlfriend to be able to see your relationship; just type their name) > click “Save Setting”.

Done! To test it out, click on “Preview My Profile” on the top right of that “Profile Information” page. In the “This is how your profile looks to most people on Facebook” box, type the name of one of your friends and click Enter. You should not see your relationship status.

• Meganmshields

okay, so i want to make updates to my profile (education, pix…) and i don’t want to ping friends with the annoying posts that i just did x and y.  can i somehow make it so folks don’t get the pings of my changes… that the changes just exist?
      thanks.
      m

• harvey

What if I’m tagged in a relationship update of my significant other and one of their friends comments on it? Will that pop up in people’s news feed if I’m tagged?

• Jack Cola

I do remember that you can do that, but not sure any more.

I am not sure if this will work, it might.

In your privacy settings, set your “Show relationship” to only me. Change it to what you want, and then turn it on. Hopefully, facebook won’t remember the change and publish it on your wall.

If you want to test it out, maybe select one person to view your relationship, then add another person to view it and see if it appears on there wall.

Apart from that, I don’t think there is another way.

yes Jack, it still works, only the location is changed.
      you will now find it in profile >>edit profile >> friends and family.

may be they will change this also in the future!