How can I change dynamic volumes to basic volumes in Windows 7?

hotsparton September 23, 2011

I want to change my dynamic volumes back to basic volumes in Windows 7. When I tried with Easeus Partition Master, it said it can’t change because I have more than 4 dynamic volumes. However, in My Computer I only see 4 volumes. Help!

1. Bhumil Haria

I faced a similar problem when I wanted an extra partition for installing Linux in dual-boot mode. I'd done a little research then, and this is what I'd found out:

A hard-drive can have only a maximum of 4 basic partitions. So when you try to create more partitions in Windows 7, it just converts them into dynamic, as in your case.
    The problem here is, there is just ONE way of converting dynamic disks back to basic ones - formatting the WHOLE hard-drive (that includes erasing all partitions, etc.)

As far as I know, there is no other way to do it. Though honestly, it didn't bother me much and I kept it that way (for some time).
    In case you convert your disks back to dynamic, and want extra partitions later, do not use the Windows tool. Use software like the Easus partition manager to make anĀ 
    'extended partition', wherein you can make as many partitions as you want.