How can I change the default view of Windows Media Player?

Shaun October 16, 2011

I’m having a similar problem with Windows Media Player 11 in Windows Vista that was discussed with regards to Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7 in the thread found at:

How can I make Windows Media Player open in library view?

A number of sites say that in Vista, Windows Media Player always opens in Library view and it’s ticking them off because they want it to open in Now Playing view, the opposite problem as in the above thread. I wish I had their problem because, like the situation in the above thread, mine defaults to Now Playing view and I want it to open in Library view! The only difference between my problem and the one in the above thread is that I’m using Vista, they were using Windows 7.

I tried the fix discussed in that thread and I’m getting the result that John originally had, where it stays open in Library view for half a second and then forces itself back into Now Playing view.

I only have one Program Files directory (the above thread mentioned a x086 directory that I don’t have). I’ve created the shortcut, edited the target path, trying out ” /Task Library” and ” /Task MediaLibrary” but always the same result.

On one of these other sites someone suggested to those whose Windows Media Player forces itself to Library to create the shortcut in exactly the same way but to edit the target path by adding:

” /prefetch:1 /Task NowPlaying”

at the end. I don’t know the difference between that and taking out ” /prefetch:1″, the above thread didn’t use ” /prefetch:1″, but I tried both methods. I get the same result no matter what I do. I even tried changing NowPlaying to Rip and Burn and Sync. It still forces itself to NowPlaying after half a second opening in the view I tell it to!

So does anyone know why machine is doing this, why the fix isn’t working and how I can fix it?

1. Wolfeskate

so to start without showing the library view (very slow!), I would add '/Task NowPlaying' somewhere? where do i add it? thank you so much.. charlie

rightclick the WMP shortcut and select Properties
      put it at the end of the target line [as described in my first post]

• Wolfeskate

got it to work this time, I love it!!!!!!!!!! it's fast :)
        you are da man

Thanks for your feedback, Kate!

Hello, the posts you are referring too were dealing with windows 7 64 bits.  It worked as long as you set wmp to open on the 64 bits instance by default.  Did you go to the Program Files and made a shortcut of the main shortcut for windows media player?  Make a shortcut of that file and made sure to put it on your desktop.  Any time you open media player use that shortcut instead of the main link for media player in the all program menu.  Or, also you can pin it to your taskbar to make it easier.  The /Task MediaLibrary should work.  If you read all the comments on that previous posts, it took some time to find the right combination for it to work.  Do not despair, do a change at the time and see if it works.

in WMP, please go to Tools - Options- Plugins (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). Do you have any third-party plug-ins installed? Especially plug-ins that show up in the Now Playing category can cause this kind of behaviour.

1) Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Media Player.
    If the Player is currently open and you’re in Now Playing mode, click theSwitch to Library button in the upper-right corner of the Player.
    2) In the Player Library, click Organize. ClickOptions.
    3) Select the tab Player from the multiple tabs and under the option Player settings uncheck the option“Keep Now Playing on top of other windows“.

The prefetch parameter as the name suggests is for the Windows prefetch function and has nothing to do with what WMP is showing by default.

You can find the start parameter for WMP12 here

As for the shortcut the target should be one of the following:

"C:Program FilesWindows Media Playerwmplayer.exe" /Task MediaLibrary
    "C:Program Files (x86)Windows Media Playerwmplayer.exe" /Task MediaLibrary