How can I change the default view of Windows Media Player?

Shaun October 16, 2011

I’m having a similar problem with Windows Media Player 11 in Windows Vista that was discussed with regards to Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7 in the thread found at:

How can I make Windows Media Player open in library view?

A number of sites say that in Vista, Windows Media Player always opens in Library view and it’s ticking them off because they want it to open in Now Playing view, the opposite problem as in the above thread. I wish I had their problem because, like the situation in the above thread, mine defaults to Now Playing view and I want it to open in Library view! The only difference between my problem and the one in the above thread is that I’m using Vista, they were using Windows 7.

I tried the fix discussed in that thread and I’m getting the result that John originally had, where it stays open in Library view for half a second and then forces itself back into Now Playing view.

I only have one Program Files directory (the above thread mentioned a x086 directory that I don’t have). I’ve created the shortcut, edited the target path, trying out ” /Task Library” and ” /Task MediaLibrary” but always the same result.

On one of these other sites someone suggested to those whose Windows Media Player forces itself to Library to create the shortcut in exactly the same way but to edit the target path by adding:

” /prefetch:1 /Task NowPlaying”

at the end. I don’t know the difference between that and taking out ” /prefetch:1″, the above thread didn’t use ” /prefetch:1″, but I tried both methods. I get the same result no matter what I do. I even tried changing NowPlaying to Rip and Burn and Sync. It still forces itself to NowPlaying after half a second opening in the view I tell it to!

So does anyone know why machine is doing this, why the fix isn’t working and how I can fix it?