How do I change the default program for torrent files in Windows 8?

May 12, 2014

I am having trouble opening torrent files with my Windows 8 computer. I have tried changing the default program (and associations) to uTorrent but to no avail as it does not even come up as an option. Every time I try to open a torrent file I get the message saying:

How do you want to open this type of file (.torrent)? look for an app in the store.

I have tried modifying the problem in my registry, re-installing both Chrome and uTorrent, trying to change associations, etc. This has been going on for days and no matter what I do, I cannot seem to find a fix!

Please help!

1. AUser

I have also been having this issue, any resolution yet?

can you drag and drop the uTorrent file to uTorrent window? is it working?

3. Rajaa C

Select look for an app in the store. the Windows store contains uTorrent 3.2.1 desktop app and BitTorrent 7.7 desktop under Tools category. So when it takes you to the store, select uTorrent. Either it will install the app again and associate all .torrent to it, or it may just simply associate. Try it.