How can I change the default browser on my iPad 2?
Question by Mark O'Neill /

I prefer the Dolphin browser over the Safari browser on my iPad 2 and I would like links (such as in emails) to open in Dolphin instead of Safari. How do I permanently set the default browser to Dolphin?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Adi

If you jailbreak the iPad, there is a cydia app called BrowserChooser (along with hundreds of other tweaks that I can’t live without anymore) – It detects all the browsers you have installed (chrome, dolphin, opera, etc.) and will let you chose which is the default app from your settings app

• Ron

Kinda reminds me when Microsoft made it difficult to use anything other than IE.

• Chad Dickinson

“Why can’t these things be offered as a default setting?”
    They can, you just have the wrong tablet.  Get yourself an Android and you can customize till your heart is content.

The problem with Android is that you buy a device for several $100 dollars which is already outdated and there is no word when or if at all you will get the latest version [Ice Cream Sandwich at this time].

Don’t get me wrong ~ I would welcome a more open platform than iOS but I don’t think Android is the right answer.

• Dancotdbigun

The problem with Apple is that I spent a lot of money for my iPad while
      I waited for this iPad2 and now I have to wait until sommer to get the oPad3

• jbrandonf

While you’re right that there’s no way to know for certain, if you go for a high end device (usually $200 and up) you’ll get updates.

• Amkiwi

My ASUS Transformer automatically updated to ICS about a month ago. It was running Honeycomb 3.1 when I bought it. Of course my granddaughter has since talked me into trading the ASUS, complete with docking keyboard, for her I-Pad2. Android is the bomb!

• Marco

Asus Transformer? The one with no 3G? Worthless.

There is no option to change the default browser in iOS. Links will always open in Safari. If you want to open them in Dolphin you’ll have to copy the address and paste it into your browser.

Only if you jailbreaked your device you can find “BrowserChanger” on Cydia which allows you to change the that.

• Mark O’Neill

I had a bad feeling that it would be something like that. Why does everything involve rooting and jailbreaking these days? Why can’t these things be offered as a default setting?

Thanks for helping out Mike.

I guess it always depends on the demand just like Personal Hotspot or Wifi sync, … jailbreakers had these features long before vanilla iOS users.

• Esger Jellema

Well they made Microsoft allow other browsers then IE install as default browser, so why can’t we make Apple allow this as well?