How do I change the background of Windows Explorer elements?

Lisa Santika Onggrid November 5, 2012

I saw this yesterday:

See the bluish panels on Windows Explorer (the background of ‘organize, include in library,’ etc)? I want to change mine too to suit the visual style I’m using.

I can’t find how to do this. Tried to use Resource Hacker, Anolis, and Restorator, but I can’t find what to replace.

1. Lisa Santika Onggrid

This is what I'm trying to achieve
    Windows Default:

For your needs, it has to be WindowBlinds. It isnt free but it isnt expensive and with the amount of skins available, you must be able to find something you like.

3. Terafall
    • Lisa Santika Onggrid

That visual style maker didn't use WindowBlinds. I'm trying to find what file I need to edit to replace the frame.

4. Boni Oloff

I don't know, but i think you should modify the desktop.ini file in the folder. I mean it is not in the folder it self, you must make it your own. My friend have it, but i am not saving it. I'll try to ask him tomorrow.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

It's for the whole explorer, not one specific folder. But I'll try. Thanks.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

This is what I'm trying to achieve:

Windows Default:
      in Windows 7 x64

That's a great link! Only work for 32-bit Windows, however.

here are correct links for both 32 and 64bit system

other link thant can interest you
        Win7 Style Builder

lets you patch Windows in a few seconds easily without playing with system files. It works fine for XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Windows Themes Installer : Install Windows 7 & Vista themes easily

Ultimate Windows Customizer

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

I've used UxStyle to install 3rd party visual style, but thanks for the links, especially for the last one. I already have the separate apps, but having them in one package is much easier.

I still haven't find what I need though. Have been playing with Restorator so I might be able to find it soon. Maybe this question is better asked in customization community like DeviantArt rather than MUO. Once again, thanks for all the help. I'm going to close this question soon.

sure the designer of that template should really give you more details, some things will be difficult depending on machines, i remember myself playing with themes that others made with above mentioned software and several times i couldn't have the desktop reloaded 'just windows desktop bleeping) and had to use windows restore point, this is why i play the safe side in this case. Windows do not really like unsigned themes.

sure you can use Restorator - for extracting/importing
          change background with hex tool

Win Explorer Background Change

can give you some idea

How to Apply Custom Themes in Windows 7

i used a laptop with windows vista
          1) i patched it with Universal Theme Patcher
          2) Applied the theme, i had the same explorer that you wanted to have (with the dragon)
          3) rebooted, could go to to desktop but when i open my computer i have the basic theme (no dragon) even clicking on hard drive for navigation goes wrong and have windows explorer problem
          4)so restore point i used to recover back the original state of my windows

i think something is wrong with theme or something missing.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

I can't reply right to your last comment so here it is.
          I'm sorry about your computer. I've been using that visual style for a week now without a hitch, even though I've changed the task pane, context menu image, and even replacing the explorerframe. Actually I want to replace the blue dragon in explorer with something else because it's too jarring to me. The rest of the visual style is in red and yellow. Besides, knowing how to do that will help me designing my own visual style.

Fortunately even with my hobby to try visual styles, nothing ever happened to my computer. Sorry for taking your time. I tried to ask the maker, but he didn't reply. I'll ask it again to skinning community.