How can I change account, file and folder names in Windows 7?

Teena Anderson June 7, 2010

When I got my new Windows 7 laptop, the name John is on all the files and folders. Everything I save is under the name John. How can change the John name to mine?

1. Artur Wrona

Press Start, then Control Panel. Choose "Add or remove user accounts" located under "User Accounts and Family Safety". It will display accounts "John" and "Administrator". Choose "John" and first option from the list that will appear is the one you are looking for.

It will change owner of all the files assigned to "John" seamlessly to new name.

2. Saikat Basu

I am still on Windows XP, so I couldn't test it out myself. Here's a link that addresses the problem - http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/1124298.htm

One of the steps involves going into the registry. Backup your registry first and be careful with it.

I believe this is only way to change it...

C:Users(user-name) folder is to create a new administrator account, copy the contents of the old account's C:Users(user-name) folders into the corresponding new account's C:Users(user-name) folder, and delete the old account from within the new account after everthing checks out ok.

I really doubt that plain cut/past would work in this case.