CD-DVD reader/writer does no longer read software disks.

Randall February 1, 2010

I drive a Sony Vaio desktop using XP and recently my CD-DVD reader/writer does not “read” many of my software applications after I insert disk. Deleting or updating driver does not seem to help. HELP!

1. F Zaman

i have laptop. i have problem with my dvd writer. sometimes it reads disk but sometimes fails. i wanna to give xp set up but after several try i failed. sometimes it takes set up from disk. but sometimes not. what can i do?

The question you replied to is rather old and you are unlikely to receive any new answers.Please submit a new question.

Try buying a CD cleaning disc. After a lot of use the optical reader can accumulate dust and dirt. If that doesn't help, it's possible the drive is dying. Simply go to an online computer store such as "Tigerdirect" and order a new one for under $50.00. Just remove the old one and replace it with the same jumper settings and cable configuration. Be sure to unplug the power cord and discharge any static electricity (on the metal frame of the computer) before touching any of the internal components. It's easy to do and you'll be proud of yourself when you finish. No need to buy a new computer just because your CD reader goes bad...Good luck

3. STEVEN G

try disk in another computer. If work, disk is good. Try dvd drive in another computer. If works, something in "your" computer is not right. If does not work, question your dvd drive.

• Randall

Thank you Steven G for the advice. All disk's work in other computers - the weird thing is that PC drive will read a disk one day, then trying that same disk on another day will result in failure. I am certain the problem lies with the CD-DVD optical drive itself, but all attempts to rectify the situation have proven fruitless. Open to any suggestions other than the obvious "time to buy a new PC". Are you or anyone else out there aware of any downloadable "fixes" for this problem?