What causes video and my system to become laggy on an Ubuntu installation?

Anonymous March 20, 2014

So I recently installed Ubuntu on my computer, which was previously running only Windows 7, and whenever I boot into Ubuntu and play a YouTube video in fullscreen, it works smoothly for the first couple of minutes.

After a while, the video begins to be really laggy and my computer follows suit and everything is laggy. So, just to clarify, in Ubuntu, when I’m playing a YouTube video in fullscreen, my whole computer starts lagging, and the only way to get it to work normally again is to reboot it.

I’m wondering what possibly could cause this problem, and what I can do to fix it.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Flash In Chrome Slow/Lag (Fullscreen Issue)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2124863&page=2

2. Jeff F

You should synchronize to Vertical blanking interval and set your refresh rate to 60 in Compiz. The directions on how to do so are below.

1. Go to Compiz Settings Manager
    2. On the "general" options, go to COMPOSITE
    3. Disable "Detect Refresh Rate"
    4. Set "Refresh Rate" to 60 (or your monitor's refresh rate)
    5. Go back to the "general" options and now go to "OpenGL"
    6. Disable "Synchronize to VBlank"

Credit: ShadowKyuzo @ ubuntuforums.org (link to thread)

• Cristián T

I tried that just now, and it seems as though that did not resolve the issue, since my computer lags whenever I watch videos from YouTube or YouTube Jukebox in fullscreen.