What is the catch of subscribing to MakeUseOf.com?

John Doe August 4, 2011

If I subscribe to MakeUseOf.com, what will you do with my email address? I don’t see a privacy disclaimer or any info about how you handle subscribers email address and other information.

1. Sonny Bass

I receive everything I am supposed to from makeuseof and have never received unwanted or unsolicited emails as a result of my subscription.  

2. Mark O'Neill

The privacy link that Tina has just highlighted is at the very bottom of the main page underneath the author footer. I admit it's not in a very prominent position so I will look into perhaps getting it moved somewhere where it's a bit more visible.

You have our assurance that we do not use your email address for anything other than to contact you if you win a contest (for example).  None of your details are given out to outside parties and this is explicitly spelled out in our privacy disclaimer.

John Doe,

good point about the disclaimer, I guess we should add that. In the meantime, please take my word that MakeUseOf will not sell or share your email address with third parties.

What happens when you subscribe? You subscribe to our email newsletter and we may occasionally send you announcements of free releases, such as a new 'best of' website or PDF manuals. You will also gain access to the page from where you can download all our previous PDF guides and cheat sheets for free. The URL will be in a welcome email you will receive after subscribing.

On second thought, I went looking for our Privacy Disclaimer and we actually do have one: http://www.makeuseof.com/disclaimer/

Here it says...
      Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your
      name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be
      released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of
      MakeUseOf.com. The only possible exception to this is if you enter a
      MakeUseOf Giveaway contest. In some of these contests, it is clearly
      stated in the contest terms and conditions that your email address may
      be passed to the contest sponsor so they can contact you directly.
      Entering the contest implies that you give your consent to this
      happening.