How do I capture the contents of a window that is bigger than the screen?

Oweson September 22, 2011

I need to capture the contents of a window that is bigger than the screen – so PrtScr won’t work (unless I take multiple PrtScr and stitch the images together)!

Is there an app, preferably a portable app, that will scroll the window and save the result as a BMP or JPG image?

and it is more than a screen capture program, it is an editor
    It is free for personal use.

2. Dave Oroszi

I have an iMac and I have no problem capturing anything. In fact, I can capture everything viewed in a window and beyond using a program called "Voila."

i.e. attached image

3. Lee

I think your best bet would be to just stitch the images together in Paint or something. No screenshot tool that I know of will capture a portion of the window that isn't on the screen. Is this something you have to do often or just once? If it's just this once, I'd stitch the images. If it's going to be often, maybe consider getting another monitor (if possible, assuming you only have one monitor currently) because then the window would show up on the other monitor and you could screenshot the whole window.

4. Justin9

Use windows sniping tool. its free and you can save the image in different formats.

5. Mulder

If you're trying to capture a web page, you could print to PDF; if you're looking for it in an image format, there is software for that. Some possibilities:

FastStone Capture:

• PC Odd Jobs

Also (if your trying to capture a web page), you could try [CTRL] + "-" to shrink the text, possibly making it fit in a screen size window. Hitting this more than once will continue to shrink it more for each repetition. Use [CTRL] + "0" to return to normal size. (I don't know if this is just FF, or all browsers.)

I will try to find out other softwares..there are some.. but i am not sure they support entire screen capture or not.
    I will say you must try firefox and chreom extension i mentioned above I use them they are cool enough if you dont need a screenshot out of browsers.

Hi Jay i am testing my account

• Oweson Flynn

I wanted to try ducklink - but it needs the Visual C++ redistributable. I installed it, but didn't detect it, and wanted to downlaod it (which is blocked at work).  So that was a fail - any other ideas?

If you are using Windows 7, you can also use the Snipping Tool which gives you several options for capturing screenshots, partial screenshots, individual windows, etc.

did you try [CTRL] + [ALT] + [PrtScr]?
    This will capture only the presently active window, not the screen.

• Oweson Flynn

That only captures the visble portion of the active window - I need to capture the entire window (even the unviewed portion) - but a useful tip!

Ah, didn't know this shortcut was limited to the visible portion. Too bad!

• PC Odd Jobs

Shouldn't that be just [ALT] + [PrtScr]? Does that make a difference?

True, you don't need to click [CTRL] at all. I have to click the [FN] key to do a print screen on my laptop; guess that's why I had the urge to add another key to the equation. Thanks for catching that!