How can I best capture 3 video streams using IP webcams and create a synchronized video with various viewing angles in Windows XP?

Joe Videtto December 28, 2011

I would like to make as professional a ‘how to’ video I can with minimal budget. I already have a PC with Windows XP software, and would like to simultaneously capture 3 video streams from different angles, as I record this ‘how to’ video. I will manually position each camera for a different angle, and leave it there for the entire shoot.

After that, I’d like to choose which camera captured the most useful shot at any given time, and merge that at the appropriate point.

I’ve used one wired Logitech webcam to capture one camera angle. How much harder would it be to wirelessly capture 3 video streams at the same time and synchronize the edits from one of the 3 camera angles onto the final video?

In particular, I’m wondering:
1.) what particular IP web cameras would be recommended for this task
2.) how to figure out if my PC is powerful enough based on the hardware/software specs
3.) how would I collect video from 3 webcam sources at the same time ?
4.) what software I would use to easily synchronize shots from all 3 videos ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
Joe V.