Why can’t I watch YouTube over WiFi on my Android phone?

Vighnesh V September 19, 2014

How do I get YouTube working on my Android over Wi-Fi?
I have a Samsung Galaxy Grand (Android 4.2.2) and the YouTube app is the latest version from Play Store. It works fine on my 3G connection and the videos play flawlessly, but when I am connected to Wi-Fi, it just buffers, buffers, and buffers non-stop. My Wi-Fi connection uses a proxy (university) and YouTube is not censored (YouTube works fine on my PC with the same connection). Here are the things I have tried:

1. Cleared YouTube app data; Uninstalled and re-installed. (My phone is rooted. :-D)
  2. Tried using Adblock.
  3. Configured Wi-Fi not to use power saving mode.

None of them worked. Neither does the YouTube site works from browsers. Any help would be appreciated.

well perhaps signal problem, you can try with another mobile or see if your friends have the same problem?

maybe because securities

• Vighnesh V

Securities in what sense?

okay i see it is some browser problems, thought that was your university restrictions
      try with Dolphin JetPack
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dolphin.browser.engine

• Vighnesh V

Nope. It doesn't work. Thanks for your input though. To make things a bit more clear, I need to get the youtube 'app' working.

• Vighnesh V

And my internet speed is not the issue.

did you try to hard reset Samsung Galaxy Grand?

• Vighnesh V

Yes. I have reset my phone once to its factory state. That didn't work ,though. Anyway, how is this related?

• Vighnesh V

I don't know if it is the same as Hard reset.

Most likely it's a matter of choosing the right quality settings for the signal strength and speed of your WiFi.

Usually when surfing via 3G apps automatically select quality settings optimized for the expected bandwidth. When you surf via WiFi there is a good chance that the app will default to the highest quality available which may just be too much for your WiFi or internet connection to handle.

If even the lowest quality fails to work in the YouTube app via WiFi I suggest to try using a simple web browser and see if that would work over WiFi.

• Vighnesh V

Well, I have a strong signal and good speed.
      I tried using web browsers. It's the same case with stock browser and a couple of others (Dolphin, Firefox, Chrome). But I could get it working in Puffin browser - but not without issues - it plays for sometime and says "Content error. Please try some other videos".
      Finally I found that it works well with Chrome BETA.