Why can’t I update to the latest software on my Samsung Note 2?

Achit.ratta June 30, 2014

Why can’t I update latest software on my Note 2? It will pop up and said “Failed to update firmware. Try again using PC software (KIES) or visit a Samsung service centre.” Can anyone help me to solve this? Thanks.

Is the OTA (over-the-air) update failing to install or are you using the Kies software to update? Sometimes Kies would be able to update the phone when OTA updating fails, and vise-versa. Otherwise, there is too little information to go by in order to say why the update would fail.

Make sure you have around 1GB free internal storage space and close to a full charge on the battery before installing the update. Updating could fail, or the phone can become bricked, if the battery dies while installing the update, and if there isn't enough storage space, the update cannot be fully downloaded.

If your phone is rooted, or somehow the firmware thinks your phone is rooted, the update would fail to install, as well. My thoughts, though, is that you should use Kies to update your phone since OTA has been known to fail from time to time (I experienced the same on Samsung devices before).

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/

maybe you are trying to add an update not supported like AT&T Samsung Note 2 update to another Samsung Note 2 international. or you have a carrier customizations that can prevent it from receiving manufacturer updates. Do try Susendeep suggestion. You can also factory reset Samsung Note 2 and try again.

Try the following steps -

Remove your SD card by unmounting it.
    Restart your phone.
    Connect to a reliable Wi-Fi.
    Download OTA update an install it.