Why can’t I install Windows 8.1 Update on my PC?

Howard B August 13, 2014

Is there a definitive fix for Windows 8.1 Update 1 yet? Every time I try to install it, I wind up with a black screen. Moving the mouse creates a “wait” mouse pointer (arrow and rotating “wait” animation) that promptly disappears and goes back to the center.

I let it run like this, thrashing the hard drive, for over an hour and a half before hitting the “reset” button and letting it run Startup Repair (which ran System Restore) and trying it… again and again…

This after installing a KBxxxxxx patch that was supposed to *fix* failed Update 1 installs.
Help please!

1. Tina S
    • Howard B

Yes, I've tried the Troubleshooter, I've tried DISM ( DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth; someone mentioned that DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth may *permanently* corrupt the system, so I haven't tried that yet).
      I haven't tried the FixIt you linked to, but I will the next time I use that PC.

This update is actually a set of 6 updates that need to be installed in a specific order. The updates are: KB2919442, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2937592, KB2938439, and KB2934018. Check your installed updates to ensure that they have successfully installed. If they haven't, try to manually download and install them in the order listed starting with the first one that hasn't been successfully installed.

go to Control Panel > Installed Updates and check if the update is there and if it is corrupted uninstall it.