Why can’t I install my large APK file in Android’s /system/app folder?

Abbas November 18, 2014

Hi people,

I have a problem making my APK files Android system apps, which normally involves moving the APK to /system/app and changing its permission to 644.

I have done that lots of time before but this time one of my application is 69MB and , although moved successfully, it cannot be opened properly. It opens but gives an error due to lack of files I think. Settings>Applications shows the size of application is 48KB. Yes, that’s not typo! Here’s a screenshot:

File is shown as 48KB!

Is there an apk size limit on Android that can be installed on /system/app directory?

PS: my /system dir is 1GB /cache is 500MB ram is 1GB /data is 2,5GB and application works fine on /data

thanks,
Abbas

1. Jan F.

I'm pretty new to Android but from what I read it is suggested to restart your Android device after putting an APK into the system app directory for it to be properly installed.