Why can’t I boot my Dell Optiplex GX620?

July 28, 2014

I’m running a Windows XP on a Dell Optiplex GX620. It started having the blue screen of death with different errors. After XP stopped loading even in safe mode, I discovered both memory sticks were bad. Got new memory, tried to boot with not luck, can’t even use F8 to get to safe mode of last config. Used the Windows disk to get me to repair and ran Chkdsk a few hundred times till it had no errors and I still can’t boot just get a black screen with blinking cursor. Tried a couple of different boot programs and nothing worked any suggestions would be very helpful.

1. Greg D

Oron, thanks for the answer. I kinda thought that was what I am going to to end up doing. I did a seagate disk check and it says the hard drive is fine. I didn't really get a 100 chkdsk ( it just seemed like it ) I did a file/ repair chkdsk and had no errors. Can the Windows files still be corrupt if check disk says no errors? Hovsep A , I can't run any of the Dell PC diagnostics as I can't get on-line with the computer. The only thing I can do is piggy-back the hard drive on another Dell computer I borrowed, but Dell can only run the PC on that computer which is of no help.

The fact that you got hundreds of chkdsk errors is the key one. At best, critical Windows files are corrupt and you'll need to reinstall Windows from scratch to get it to work again. More likely though, the disc itself (i.e. the hardware) is on its way out and the best thing to do is get another hard drive, install your software on it and transfer as much data as you can salvage from the old drive.

3. Greg D

Thanks for the answer, I know it isn't the power supply. It is for sure a windows/dell problem.

maybe your power supply is no good anymore.

Run Dell PC Diagnostics to resolve performance issues.
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-gx620/manuals