Why can’t I answer a MakeUseOf question?

Che J February 2, 2014

I have answered or rather posted 2 comments on two unresolved questions. I went back to both questions but I didn’t see my answers there. What happened? Is there other steps required?

Che, I recall approving two of your comments, so it was definitely just a matter of them being moderated. Although we try cover the moderation queue around the day (partly by having editors on different continents), inevitably there are gaps, and I think your comments waited somewhat longer than average to be posted. Still - all's well that ends well!

When you post an answer, it will show a message simply thanking you for commenting or it will indicate it has gone into the moderation queue. If it has gone into moderation, it will be held there until one of our editors gets back into the queue to process everything being held there. Lately the queue has been filling quickly and it sometimes takes a bit of time to vet the links that others have in their comments. If it conforms to the site rules, it will generally be approved within 12 hours, most of the time much quicker than that.

How long did you wait or has it been since posting a response? There are guidelines and protocols to follow, and one of them is for each comment to be reviewed by a moderator. If there are links to websites (especially if there are a few), they have to be reviewed and moderated. If the comment is viewed as spam, it may not be allowed to be posted.

Moderation usually is done in a timely manner, but sometimes may take longer due to issues, or there may be a high amount of comments to review. Most comments are reviewed and posted within 24 hours from the time of posting, but generally takes a few minutes to a couple hours.

4. Matt S

I see a few comments from you including some from today...so it may just be they're going into moderation, and then approved at a later time.