Why can’t I access my mail on my iPad and iPhone?

Anonymous September 13, 2014

I use Outlook on my iPad and iPhone 3 mobile to access email using IMAP. However, every time I try to log in on either of them, Outlook tells me the password is wrong and my phone keeps throwing me back to the ‘enter password’ screen (indicating the password is wrong).The passwords are not wrong since I’m able to manually sign in onĀ  my computer through Google using th esame password with no issues.

I quadruple-checked to make sure I’m spelling it correctly in both of my clients, including caps. I even changed my password in email a few times to test and still the same thing. I have IMAP enabled and I even tried disabling it, changing my password, then reenabling it and still the same thing.

1. jo

do you use two step verification for gmail? if yes, you need to have app specific password.

iOS: Troubleshooting Mail
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3899

I would add to Jan's list:
    (4) The wrong security or encryption settings are being used (e.g. SSL enabled when it shouldn't be).

I'm a little unclear about a couple of things in your question.
    a. Are you having difficulty setting up the connection, or did it use to work and suddenly stopped?
    b. Are you using the Outlook _app_ on your devices rather than the built-in mail client? If so, why?

The password prompt comes when:
    (1) user name or password are incorrect
    (2) the server is answering but not granting access
    (3) the mailbox is locked (e.g. limited number of simultaneous access)

Since you are using IMAP the emails are stored on the server so the easiest thing to try is to just delete the account from your iOS devices and then reconfigure it.
    When setting it up just use the "Google Mail" preset as it will automatically configure the server details.