Why can’t I access Facebook on my computer yet I can on another?

Anonymous April 12, 2014

When trying to access Facebook on my computer, I receive the message “Facebook Not Responding.” However, I am able to access my Facebook account on another computer, no problems. Does anyone out there in cyber land have any suggestions as to what might be disallowing Facebook access on my computer?

2. Ryan D

Beyond Bruce's excellent suggestions, I would also suggest (if his solutions don't work):

- Try clearing your browser cache on the computer that doesn't connect (tell us what browser you use and we can give you some instructions if you don't know how).
    - Try a different browser on the computer where you can't access Facebook.
    - On the problem computer, click Start, type "cmd" in the search field and press Enter. Then in the black command box type "ping facebook.com". What happens? You should get an IP address back 4 times preceded with "Reply from". If your computer can't connect, it'll return a different message.

As Bruce mentioned, the hosts file is probably one of the first things I'd check. Could be someone else messing around with the file and messing with you by inserting an entry for Facebook.

Are both of these computers using the same network connection? Are there similar problems with other sites using your computer or are all sites slow to load in comparison to the second computer?

If the answer to both questions is yes, the problem is most likely in your TCP/IP stack. Going to Device Manager, deleting your network adapter, rebooting and letting Windows reinstall the driver will automatically rebuild the TCP/IP stack as well.

If the answer to the first question is no, the problem could be local to your computer or anywhere between your computer and Facebook's servers. You can try to isolate this using tools such as ping and traceroute to find if/where packets are being lost.

You may also want to check your hosts file (%systemroot%driversetc) to make sure there isn't an entry for http://www.facebook.com in there. Also check your network adapter settings and ensure you are using the correct DNS servers.