Why does my Canon Pixma no longer scan on my Macbook?

Bobbie LEONARD April 4, 2011

My Canon Pixma MP630 all-in-one won’t scan. A message comes up to say the driver isn’t installed. I had this happen a few days ago and it did eventually scan, but I don’t know what I did. I feel sure it is all installed properly. I am trying to scan to my Macbook, which seems to be working very slowly. Can anyone help

1. Linda Banham

Hi
    I have been having the same problem but with printing. i went down to the Apple store and they told me that it was because i had updated the software to version OS X 10.7.3 and the MP630 update hadn't been done by canon. I contacted them over the internet and they sent me their latest updates, but when I tried to download it failed. I got back onto them and this is what they replied

" The software that was sent to you is the latest software and supports MAC 10.7.x meaning it also supports 10.7.3. After installing the printer drivers, go to System preferences, printers and scan. In the printer list select the + icon to add a printer and select the printer models and add them, after this has been done remove the old models in the list with the - icon.
    Once again thank you for contacting Canon Support. Please feel free to reply to this mail if you have any more questions."

I tried this again but still no joy. I also have a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 mk ll, and I'm having the same problen with this. I am trying to revert back to version 10.7.2
    i didn't have a problem with this version
    I am trying to resolve this, if I can I shall let you know.

2. Jim Devin

I have the same question with my Canon pixma mp160. I have all the latest drivers but my mac osx.6 can't find it.  Is there a specific application I should be using, or will I see the canpn pixma jump up in my finder window when I plug in???

Jim,

I'm afraid I do not know the answer.

If you don't receive an answer here, I recommend asking a new question using the respective button on MakeUseOf Answers. Please provide a thorough description of your issue and mention what you have tried to fix it already. Thanks!

Bobby,

were you able to fix your printer/scanner in the meantime? Please let us know what did the trick!

One good advice is to have the Printer/Scanner turned on and connected before you start your MacBook.

Is your MacBook slow in general or only when you are using/connected to the Printer/Scanner? If latter is the case take a look at the Canon Support page for updated drivers for your current Mac OS X Version. Canon support states that the driver for the MP630 was last updated on "March 6th, 2011" so maybe this also addresses your issues.