How do I get my TP Link WR740N router working on my home network?

Kyem G November 18, 2013

I live a bit away from Kolkata, India and only Siti broadband is reachable to my locality and so I subscribed to it with monthly rental Rs 438.

The technician told me that I can even use a WiFi router it’s very easy to use the Internet with my other devices (my phone and iPad) and so I bought the TP Link WR740N from the online shopping site Flipkart. The technician asked me to plug in the WAN RJ45 cable to the WAN port and, yes, it did work automatically without any configuration.

I used it for a day but on the next day, the trouble began as I could no more browse the internet. But I could open the login page of the ISP and also I could do the ping test through command. The technician tested it by entering the IP addresses manually in the TP Link’s settings page, but this wouldn’t work. He suggested that the router had some manufacturing defect and as I had 30 days of replacement warranty from Flipkart, I ordered for a replacement.

But this time again the same case, only the login page of the ISP would open. On the very 1st go of the replaced router, after log in, I tried to open the MakeUseOf site but unfortunately it stopped after it was half-loaded and then it totally stopped working, I could not access any page except the ISP login page.

Then I took a TP Link MR3020 portable router from my friend and just I inserted the RJ45 Jack to the WAN port, after login, it started working like a breeze, just no problem at all. I’m now using it continuously for a week with no issue. Can anyone please specify the issue with the WR740N? Everything that I tested was primarily done in my PC and some times for testing, I used my iPad to check.

1. Rajaa C

Follow the quick installation guide from http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR740N#down

• Kyem G

Rajaa da, got these in the box itself. Eyigulo dekheyi install korechi. Tried with both the cd software and the web version... Bt speed is extremely slow with alliance!! :(

2. Md Mukhtar M

I you use CPE then you must be using Wimax service (me too use it), so the problem could be in in your router probably in that case you may try this

go to tplinklogin (dot)net ,add user name and password you created (default is admin ,admin)
    go to network:-wan:-advanced:-mtu size :-reduce it by 20 or 40

default should be 1480

if it works then please reply

• Kyem G

Mukhtar, the default MTU of my router was 1500 but still it I tried with reducing to 1480 and 1460

you changed the IP address to 192.168.2.1?

• Kyem G

Tried with changing the ip today... Nothing helped...

i see you picked Md Mukhtar M solution and marked as solved, is this helped you to fix the problem? Earler you said: Surprisingly you know what? When I connected the lan cable to MR3020, it configured automatically and is still working flawlessly…Surprisingly you know what? When I connected the lan cable to MR3020, it configured automatically and is still working flawlessly…

so apparently problem came back but for short time was fixed?

• Kyem G

Sorry bro... It happened by mistake... The problem is not solved yet..

Quick Setup
      1) Open a web-browser and type the default address http://tplinklogin.net in the address field of the browser.
      2) After successfully login, you can click the Quick Setup to quickly configure your Router.
      3) Click Next, and then WAN Connection Type page
      4) If you select Auto-Detect, the Router will automatically detect the connection type your ISP
      provides.

• Kyem G

Thank you bro for not misunderstanding me. Well I was unaware that I clicked on the best answer mark. Bt later I couldn't undo it.
      Yes I tried the auto detect option and it took the dynamic ip and also configured it manually bt I could access only the login page of my ISP.
      Today I tested the router to another ISP named Alliance whoch provides direct cable, no CPE needed and also they provide static IP. This ISP has a hell lot of restrictions bt provides a great service. And so the router couldnot detect the ip automatically. After configuring, got access to the ISP login page, and then could browse but the speed was too slow. I reduced the MTU size as said by Mukhtar and for a few minutes, got great speed, but again the speed got down drastically... :(

perhaps it is because Aliance package that you chose causing slow internet connection, but drastically? perhaps your antimalware/firewall cause the problem.

• Kyem G

No the package is nt a slow speed package. It provides a speed of 100kbps in day n goes above 1mbps at night.. I tried this with my iPad too, it was very slow.. Well I need to see if updating the firmware of the router can help or not.. Well I'll b informing you after doing the firmware update...

• Md Mukhtar M

I could not not understand , did reducing mtu solved your problem with your router with your own broadband ? did it worked for some time ?

• Kyem G

No.. It didn't solve the problem. The browsing speed is extremely slow except the login page. Finally can browse bt its extremely slow!!! :(

perhaps your antimalware is causing this with the realtime protection, disable or uninstall to see if things will go better.
      Also try
      How to perform a clean boot in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
      maybe pc infected?

well this is WR740N router problem. if you can find another WR740N then check if this will work, if yes then replace yours.

• Kyem G

I have already mentioned that I have ordered for a replacement when I found the problem in the 1st piece but the problem retained even with the replaced piece.....

• Kyem G

do you have static or dynamic IP address.

• Kyem G

Now in this case, I want you to get some more details. I need to use a CPE (TP link product) to receive signal from the transmission tower . Basically from the ISP, I get a static ip and that is configured with the CPE and so I need to configure my wifi router as Dynamic ip (providing the ip of the CPE). Well setting up with dynamic ip configuration could help me get access to the isp log in page as well as could do the ping test. But as I said on the day two, no access to other websites. Tried with setting up with static ip configuration too but it didn't allow me to access the login page itself!!!! :(. But in TP link MR3020, not a single configuration was required, it did all by itself!!!!

select WAN-->Dynamic IP and go to LAN-->change the IP address to 192.168.2.1 and then save
      have you tried to apply TP link MR3020 settings on your WR740N

• Kyem G

Well I've changed the ip of the router... Surprisingly you know what? When I connected the lan cable to MR3020, it configured automatically and is still working flawlessly... I opened the config page of the MR3020, and its same as the one in Wr740N but I got no special change that was to be done!!!

Also try
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

maybe pc infected?