Can you recommend me some good apps for my Nexus 7?
Question by Aaron Ashton /

I just purchased a Nexus 7 32GB and I want to know what are the best apps to get for it (on and off the Google Play market). I’d also be interested in knowing if I should root the device, for best performance?

Thanks.

• Bumferry

I also have the Nexus 7 32gb and so far have found NO REASON at all to root it. The speed and power of the tablet should be fast enough for any user. There are as many good apps as you would need. It all depends on what you want from your tablet. googles own apps are great, maps especially. I would also recommend evernote, tunein radio, TED, bbc iplayer(UK) and accu weather. all look great on the nexus7. everything else is really just trial and error.

• Alan Craig

Dropbox and/or google drive, I like having both. ES file explorer, Groove IP lite, Kingsoft office, Swiss army knife, Navfree, and Battery indicator.

• Chris Hoffman

What a coincidence, I already wrote an article about great Nexus 7 apps! http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/nexus-7-optimized-apps/

I spend most of my time on my Nexus 7 reading. Pocket (definitely my most-used app), Chrome, maybe Flipboard, Twitter, perhaps Google Reader (I hear Press is the best Google Reader client for Android, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet.)

• Choon Khai

Battery Doctor, it will notify you when charging is finished or show charging timer, track your battery usage and charging style, and give you tips to make your battery last longer. Me and my friends have been using this for a year, vary in devices, and it’s really awesome!

• Tug Ricks

I too would recommend some apps that have already been mentioned. (Pocket, Google Reader, Evernote)

But I can’t believe that no one has mentioned Netflix yet; as it’s the perfect time killer.

• Justin Pot

I spend the vast majority of my tablet time using Flipboard. Integrates all the things I access regularly: Google Reader, NPR, YouTube, Twitter. Highly recommended.

Evernote is a must, and Pocket is really great if you like reading longer articles once you get back from work.

If you like old-school gaming, check out Retro Arch. Google Now, included, does a lot of great things too.

Be sure to do some exploring on your own, though. Finding what works best if a lot of the fun.

• Nevzat Akkaya

If you decide to root your device someday, your #1 app should be a backup application, my fav one is Titanium Backup. It’s one of the reasons to get root actually :) other popular apps are mentioned in MUO best apps section. Don’t forget to get Swiftkey keyboard app while it’s on sale, too.

My personal fav apps :
    – Google Translate, Google Reader, Google+, Google Authenticator, Goggles, Drive
    – Titanium Backup, Root Toolbox
    – Swiftkey
    – Android System Info
    – File Expert, Total Commander, X-plore, Anttek Explorer, Solid Explorer (all are good file managers)
    – AppSales (with it, you don’t miss any sale, strongly recommended :)
    – Barcode Scanner
    – Box, Dropbox, SkyDrive, Yandex.Disk, Wuala, Megacloud (install as you wish :)
    – Camera ZOOM FX, Camera360 (for alternative camera apps)
    – Hi-Q Mp3 Recorder (excellent sound recorder)
    – Maxthon, Dolphin, Opera (for all your browser needs, besides Chrome)
    – DiskUsage, DiskInfo (for folder space analyses)
    – KeePassDroid (keepass for Android)
    – Yandex Maps for an alternative Maps app.
    – Moon Reader (Pro is on sale too, don’t miss)
    – MyPhoneExplorer (excellent explorer and remote control app, allows using PC keyboard)
    – Poweramp (the best audio player)
    – QuickPic (the best photo viewer)
    – SoundHound and Shazam for song identification
    – usual social apps : Twitter, Facebook,

• DalSan Mack

I agree with most of the apps you listed, though I prefer UCAM camera app over the others (I still have the other camera apps installed in case I ever need them), Friendcaster (especially the pro version)I like much better than the Facebook app, and I would add Team Battery Bar for a nice and easy way to know the battery life left in your device while in just about any app since there is a 1 or 2 pixel size line (2 pixel size must be used for Jelly Bean 4.1 in order for it to show) with customizable colors and shows on the top of the screen at all times (usually, and the battery bar can be moved to the bottom of the screen in the settings). Apk Share is also a good app to backup application installers (and allows for easy sharing of them). I use Advanced Task Killer to help keep apps in check and kill unused apps that start automatically. If the device is rooted, then using System Tuner Pro would be a good idea to fine tune the hardware settings such as voltage, CPU speed and governor type setting, SD card read speed, autoruns, etc.

• Nevzat Akkaya

Well there are so many Twitter and Facebook app alternatives, choosing one is difficult, however other apps generally have bugs, but official Facebook and Twitter apps have less bugs, it’s just my observation.

Firstly,you must install Tablified market app which shows tablet optimized apps –

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tablifiedapps.tablifiedmarket&hl=en

It does have a paid version too which has more features.

Some suggested apps can be Temple Run,Appy geek tablet version,Go launcher HD,Go keyboard for tablet,Mobo Player etc..

• Mac Witty

SwiftKey 4 – a great keyboard app. As you might write more than you do on a smart phone you need at better keyboard