Can you recommend me a multi-function color laser printer?

Kimberly Noh January 11, 2013

I have a small bookkeeping practice and my Cannon MF Image Class 4270 has died after about 5 years. I am looking for a new printer. I need a color laser printer, copier, scanner that does duplexing. I purchased a Brother MFC 9460 CDN but it grinds when printing splatters toner all over the printouts and lastly fills my office with a lot of nasty toner dust.

I selected this printer because it got a 4-star rating and the toners were a reasonable price but honestly it does not stand ground to my old Canon. I appreciate all suggestions and opinions.

1. Diane White

I suggest a HP DeskJet All-In-One. I luv mine and have owned it for many years now.

2. Kimberly Noh

Mark as resolved as it is :)

3. John-Charles Quinn

We have a Brother MFC-9970CDW Color Laser All-in-One and it's been a good, dependable choice for our small office. I believe it's a bit more expensive than the MFC-9460CDN however.

• Kimberly Noh

After all the help here and with many hours of research I went with the Cannon imageclass MF8380 CDW. The best part was it was on sale for 399.00 at Staples marked down from 549.00. I love it. I does all I want and need. what a great brand Cannon has been. I hope this one lasts as long as my last one (9 years)

Personally I would go with Lexmark, never had a problem with them. As to the model, that is something you need to look at especially the options given. I can only advise which model suits my needs not yours.

• Paul Pruitt

My brother had a Lexmark and he regretted it. Generally they rank toward the bottom in various head to head reviews of all kinds of printers I have seen.

5. Paul Pruitt

Konica Minolta makes the cheapest one, Magicolor 1690MF, although I think the toner is expensive. I got rid of mine from Konica Minolta after 6 months because it was too slow and expensive I think...It's been a while.

You might look at the Canon Lasers Color imageCLASS MF8380Cdw. It gets bad ratings on Amazon mostly because it doesn't play nice with Apple.

Color laser all in ones just don't rate that high as a class overall on Amazon. You might think about HP too as they seemed to be working hard to get back in the game. Their driver software interfaces I think are very user friendly at the least.

6. Rob Hindle

I had a Lexmark X543DN A4 Colour AIO, very good price but after less than 2 years it started making a nasty smell and smoking - presumably fuser unit but that's so hard to get at and expensive to replace that the best option was replacement. Wierdly, you may think, I bought the same again because it was dead cheap (£155 before VAT and with 1000 page toners) and we'd got our money's worth from it. But a new set of 4 Lexmark toners costs about £150 or high capacity 2000 page, £200! In practise we get much better usage from the colour toners and won't need the printer for much more than a year so don't really care if the replacement dies too, also we have unused toner in stock - were that not the case I'd regard that model as a bad buy.

On the other hand my Dell 3000 range (colour laser but not multifunction) just keeps going , must be about 8 years old, I'm waiting for it to fail so I can justify replacing with an MFP but it refuses to die. Very low cost for toner usage.

• Kimberly Noh

WOW that was pricey

indeed but perhaps it has all that you need, also you have to tell to makeuseof your budget so that to narrow the search result.

• Kimberly Noh

Sorry I thought I did. I paid 649.99 for the one I got. So I really wanted to stay in that price range or lower. I did find out I could lease several types cheaper but I want to buy it outright so I need to be efficient in these trying times.

8. Silhoutte james

The Xerox ColorQube 8700/X's solid-ink technology is competitive with laser in speed and print quality, and especially cost. Samsung's CLX-6260FW is a small-workgroup model with reasonably priced toner.

there are some recommendations you can check on:

Brother MFC-9970CDW
    Xerox ColorQube 8700/X
    Brother MFC-9560CDW

Hi Kimberley, I see you're full of interesting printer-related questions! I would agree with your assessment - Brother office printers are generally not as well built as Canon's. In the class you're talking about (small workgroup AIO) the leaders, in my opinion, are Canon and Ricoh, the actual model names change from country to country, so I'll not mention any, you can clearly pick one out according to the spec. Another possibility is a Kyocera AIO. They are excellent printers, reliable and have very low running costs, but their purchase price is relatively hight. Still, you could consider the the FS-C1020MFP+ (model for small workgroups) or FS-C5150DN (personal, no network or ADF).