Can you recommend me a laptop with these specs for college?

Daniel J August 11, 2013

I need advice on the best laptop to buy for college. The specs I require are:

1. Cost shouldn’t exceed more that 60,000 INR or 1000 USD (give or take a 100 USD)
2. Should be a decent gaming device with atleast 1GB GDRR5 graphics card
3. Screen Resolution = 1080p Full HD display
4. Can be a convertible (like Acer Aspire R7) but it should have a graphics card.
5. Decent battery life
6. Intel Processor
7. HDD can be of any configuration
8. At least 4GB of RAM

Please suggest me some laptops or convertibles.

1. Dave R

Hi Daniel.
    Take a look here a bit under your budget but you can configure it, just an idea hope you like - http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/LandingPages/ZeusHercules/

2. Dave R

Hi Daniel
    The point I am trying to make is that you seem to have a good Idea just what you want and people are only recommending Laptops that they have read about and not used so your best bet would be to google Laptops with the price you can afford then read users reviews on them. Amazon is an excellent place to start as there are loads of user reviews on there which is better than getting a recommendation from people who have not used them but have only read up on them, not saying that they don't no there stuff but you will always get negative replies on anything you want, if you don't believe me then take all the recommendations from here and search for them at Amazon there you will see users reviews. At the end of the day, It;s your choice, good luck.

3. Dave R

Sounds to me as you have a very good idea just what you do want, so recommending anything mat be a bit pointless just google your price and you should find what you are after.

• Daniel J

Hi Dave,

I have a good idea about the config of the system, NOT about the brand and the Battery life. Thanks for the reply

Although nice, Alienware and MSI are pretty much out of the question for your budget and requirements. Dell XPS would be a decent alternative to Alienware, and there are decent Lenovo Ideapad Y500 laptops that offer at least 1GB video cards in your price range. If you can, check out the ASUS Republic of Gamers G55VW-DH71. It may be slightly over budget, but it offers more than you are asking for, making it worthwhile for longevity. You should be able to use this laptop beyond the average feasible lifespan of a regular laptop, and some of the decently spec'ed laptops. http://www.absoluteblogger.com/2013/07/ask-rohan-2-best-gaming-laptop-under-1000-rs-50000.html?m=1

• Dalsan M

One thing to note is that gaming laptops typically use more power than regular laptops, especially when gaming. Getting more than 2.5 hours battery life is hard to manage to get on gaming laptops. Some are capable, but either are more expensive or lacking in features and performance you wish to have.

Some of the best convertibles are Lenovo ideapad yoga 13,Dell XPS 12.

You can have a look at some of the laptop as according to your requirements at Flipkart.

Also,have a look at some of the suggested laptops -

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/05/engadget-laptop-buyers-guide-summer-2013/

• Daniel J

Thanks for your reply Susendeep. Still I need a Laptop or a convertible with better graphics options and a battery life of atleast 4.5 hrs

• Susendeep D

Getting a laptop with dedicated graphics under this budget and GDDR5 grade is now not possible.Even a good laptop having a good backup such as Sony Vaio Pro 13 is a good laptop but costs Rs.74,000/-