Can you recommend a mail hosting provider?
Question by TalkingBee /

I am searching for a mail hosting provider. Not a problem? It is cause I need the following:

* MX records pointed the the mail hosting provider, so NO domain transfer
* one IMAP4 mail account with at least 5 GB mail space and thr possibility to buy more mailspace later
* catch-all mail support OR unlimited mail aliases
* Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 5.x with *full* S/MIME and PGP support
* access to the SMTP server
* monthly payment

Anyone have a tip?

• Anonymous user

Just for people to understand:

I need “Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 5.x with *full* S/MIME and PGP support” and NOT some other mail hosting service :)

• Jan Fritsch

I’ve been looking around a little ~ what I have come up is that cPanel (at least v11 and newer) has full support for Horde Groupware Webmail.

So theoretically all you need to do is find a cPanel host that fulfills your other needs (storage, catchall, …).

My personal suggestion is to find a suitable hosting service that provides cPanel and ask their support about Horde.

• Anonymous user

Thanks Jan. I already asked cPanel. (didn’t mention it before)

They *plan* to update to the “new” Horde Groupware Webmail. No time frame, also no guarantee they will ever update it, they said. Their current version is the old one :'( Checking how quick they updated in the past to new versions… it means probably not before the end of 2013.

It’s ridiculous that no company offers 5.x+. What is so special?

• Jan Fritsch

I can’t name you any hosted service that is using Horde Groupware but looking at all the wanted features (requirements) you have I feel using a VPS or root server and hosting the groupware there may proof less expensive and more flexible.

• Anonymous user

THANKS, I thought about this before… but the ratio is far from good ;) Imagine how many hours one has to spend to set up a VPS with a mail server running, firewall running, regulary updates and so on,.. you know?

Regarding the price… 100% a VPS would be the cheapest solution. But you know I am lazy ;)

• Jan Fritsch

The hours are relative. I agree you have a long initial setup time but if you actually do regular maintenance it will be 30-60 minutes a week manually checking for updates and error logs.

Also the firewall would probably be the least work with one rule to block all external and one for each port (SMTP, IMAP, HTTPS).

As an administrator the real time consuming work is trying to fix an issue of a system that was running unsupervised for too long.

But it’s ok to be lazy~

Do you actually need “Horde” or do you need the standard groupware features? Hosted Exchange is relatively inexpensive and usually offers IMAP access for none ActiveSync or EWS clients.

• Anonymous user

Hosted Exchange is nice but does not offer webbased S/MIME nor webbased PGP. Only Horde supports that :(

• Anandu B Ajith

try windows live Domains
    domains.live.com

• Anonymous user

Live Domains does not support webbased S/MIME nor webbased PGP.

• Junil Maharjan

Google Apps is no longer free but you can try outlook.com. check this out http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/outlook-handles-email-domain-hosting/

Yes, true Google apps is no more free, but he is ready to pay a monthly fee. I would have also suggested outlook.com, until I saw that he needs IMAP4 support. Unfortunately, outlook.com doesn’t support that as far as I am aware.

• Anonymous user

Yes sir. I am for SURE willing to pay for a service as long as I get the things I need.

Google Apps supports all the feature the person has asked for including $5/user/month payment terms. :)

• Anonymous user

Thank you for your reply. I used Zoho, GApps and even Outlook. ALL are for the John Doe and the Jane Doe but not for a user who cares a LITTLE about privacy.

I do not want MS or Google or Zoho … to read my mails anymore, also I need webbased S/MIME and webbased PGP support etc. I searched for a long time.. and only Horde Groupware Webmail Edition would supports it :(

• Anonymous user

Hosted Exchange = excellent but no webbased S/MIME / PGP :'(

Rackspace Email = great UI… but no webbased S/MIME / webbased PGP support :'(

The ideal solution for you supporting all the mentioned criteria including monthly payments is certainly without a question is Google Apps for Business. You can reference to the website http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/