Can you recommend a grammar checking software?

Lavinia Mulder May 27, 2013

Is there a grammar checking software that also checks spelling and sentence structure?

1. Lavinia

Wow! thank you guys
    I have tried some of the tools you offered like Ginger
    But in the end purchased this software I have tried at a friends.
    It is called WhiteSmoke and meanwhile it pretty much gives me everything I need.
    I write lots of official letters and they have this service of ready to use templates which come in handy plus it has a plug in that automatically checks all my outgoing MS outlook mails.
    it cost like 50 bucks but I am all forward when it comes for buying software. If the service is good than its good and so far I am pleased.
    Should my opinion change for any reason, I'll be sure to update it here.
    Thanks again

2. Emac

Just use Firefox. It has spell check already installed. As a matter of fact. it puts a red line under Firefox to say it is spelled wrong. Ironic?

3. Paul Vi

If you don't want to install anything on your PC you can Google it and you'll find several grammar checking websites.

4. Tom

I'm dyslexic and the only spell and grammar checker that works for me is Ghotit, but I don't know how it works for the general population.

5. Harish Anim

well if its web based that your looking for most of the softwares work along with the OS that they are on and provide grammar correction appropriately and if its a software based your looking for nothing can beat MS word!!

6. dragonmouth

I agree with oron joffe. As the last step get another human to proofread your document.

I have noticed that journalists are relying more and more on spell and grammar checkers There isn't a day that I don't find homonym errors in the newspaper. (there/their/they're, heir/air, witch/which, etc.) Spelling is correct but the meaning is not.

You didn't say what word processing software you are using. If you are using MS Office or OpenOffice/LibreOffice/NeoOffice, then spell checking and grammar checking are built in, and pretty good.
    That said, the article which HA14 points to is excellent, and makes the most important point: you cannot rely on proofreading tools only! Spell checkers are extremely useful, and grammar checkers have their place, but neither of them will capture all errors. Having finished your text, get someone else to check it, or at the very least, check it yourself!

Proofreading test: my wife vs. Grammarly vs. Ginger vs. After The Deadline vs. Microsoft Word 2010
    http://goodcontentcompany.com/proofreading-test-roundup

Excellent article. Brilliantly highlights that proofreading still needs human intervention.

9. DalSan M

It depends on what or where you are trying to correct these issues. Some software will only work in web browsers or Microsoft Office. For these situations, Ginger Spell and Grammar Check would work: http://ginger-spell-and-grammar-checker.m.en.softonic.com/ For online checkers, try http://www.grammarly.com

Microsoft Word checks all the three and the most popular software. :D

Check the link for backing what I said and how to enable it :

https://office.microsoft.com/en-001/word-help/check-spelling-and-grammar-HP010117963.aspx

For spell check, the word get underlined in red and for grammar and sentence construct, it get underlined in green. Just right click on them for the correct suggestions.

The link shows the Proofing capability feature built within MS Word.