Can you recommend a free email provider?

December 6, 2013

Hi,

I’ve been searching for a quite free E-mail service to use for my work. I know there are many providers, but I’m searching for the best one. Security, No Spam…

You would be happy with Gmail as its supports IMAP so that you can be comfortable using it with many softwares,apps.

2. Russell Smith

You can opt for GMail as a email service. This quality email service governs by Microsoft Inc.

3. Dwight S

If you want no spam in your inbox Gmail is what you want. They don't like spammers and do everything they can to stop you from seeing it. Maybe 1 or 2 a month slip through the filters Gmail provides. Click on the check box next to them and click the Spam Button to report them to Google. They will be banned for life.

Yahoo Mail is the worst for spam. If you don't want it you have to create your own filters to block it. But they aren't easy to understand. Without filters you'll get 50 to 100 spams a day in your inbox. I've had my Yahoo Mail account since 1997 but rarely use it for that reason.

4. Donald R

Outlook.com is looking promising. But Gmail is the absolute winner at the moment. Yahoo mail should be avoided at all costs as they are definitely not considering the end user in many cases anymore. I used to be a paying user of Yahoo. Not any more.

5. Ramandeep S

From my experience, its Gmail. It do have security as 2-step-verification. You have to provide a password and the code (sent to your mobile) to log-in to it. This extra security layer is much more reliable than anything else. I think you should use it - https://mail.google.com/

6. Alan W

Gmail has always worked well for me but then again I have never tried GMX.

Oron has already listed the most common free email service so no need to repeat them. Only one I can add is Mail.com (1&1 free service).

But since you said for work I would assume you do want to use your own identity, your own domain. For that I'm not aware of any free offerings.
    At best you could create aliases which are usually part of the domain package and forward them to the free accounts. Outgoing email would however lose the identity.
    While possible I don't recommend sending emails with your own domain name via a "foreign" or the free service SMTP server. They will mostly be flagged as email spoofing.

Well, the four big ones are Yahoo, Outlook, GMail and GMX. They all do a good job on the spam-filtering side, but for security, I think GMail and GMX are better (and Yahoo, in my opinion, the worst). On privacy, I would trust GMX more than GMail, but I don't know how much of a concern that is for you.
    They have very different interfaces (GMX is a bit like Outlook), so you could try both and see which you like better.