Can you recommend a free alternative to Fences for desktop management on Windows?

Morne van Heerden December 3, 2012

I tried the Fences trial and I am now looking for a free program that provides similar functionality to Fences. I’m not looking for docking software.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

1. Kjell Sandvik

None of those suggestions can replace Fences IMHO.

Why don't just download Fences 1.01 (still free and does the job):

2. Kimberly Goff

I would recommend SE-DesktopConstructor, which you can find here:

It's sort of a combination of Fences and Rainmeter (but easier to use than Rainmeter!).

Hello, there are several free software that provides similar functions as fences. Here are a a few:

Nimi Places:

4. dhanunjayarao chunduri
  5. shaurya gupta
  6. prasad kondaveti

"Nimi Places" is the best alternative app i think.

7. Rohit Pandey

you can try DeskSpace by Otaku Software.
    DeskSpace is a beautiful, wonderfully functional piece of software and a fun and productive way to add multiple desktops to Windows.

8. Nikhil Chandak

For alternatives -
    I think u shall try out rainmeter , its not alternative to fences but ur desktop looks the best !!

• Din One

maybe this is suitable... isnt it?

@Rajaa Chowdhury, Minhaj Jayafar, Rakesh Mishra

What is Google Fences?
    The user has tried Fences and is looking for an alternative so to post a link to the app he has tried is a bit rediculas, isnt it?
    Just read the post!

Rather would suggest you to read the question properly. He has tried the trial of Stardock Fences 2.01 and wants a similar program with similar functionality however which is FREE. However, with Fences version 2.01, Stardock has done away with the Free version and has only the paid version. However, if a free version was available, he would have surely used it. Therefore, I suggested him to google for Fences 1.01 free version. They had both paid and a FREE version till version 1.01, which I also use and did not update so as I can continue using it FREE. This version is still available to download on the internet and that is what I suggested. When the ver 2.01 update came about, I did try to find alternatives, but did not really find one which finds the bill so to continue with Fences 1.01 is the best option available. I did install and try Nimi Places, but it is not really user-friendly to configure. So, I guess I gave the correct suggestion taking everything into consideration. Probably the earlier version download at

• Shahbaz Amin

I was also thinking like did Google had a Fences software all this time and I never knew!! You never know when its beeing used a 'verb' even though googling something is quite a common expression nowadays.
        Thanks for detailed response Rajaa sahib..

• Wisomannhy Indians in here

Ridiculous is typing rediculas, and not bothering to fully read Rajaa's reply.

11. Minhaj Jayafar

try google fences

12. Rakesh Mishra
    • Psax

Why? It's trial.

Google Fences free 1.01 it is the earlier version and they had a free version also then

14. Blake Andreasen
  15. Sri Vamsy Gurram