Can you re-enable Tethering disabled in an Android ICS build?

Nathannaborro January 28, 2013

Received my upgraded tablet but manufacturer has disabled the thethering feature in the ICS build, can it be re-enabled? Foxfi isn’t a solution to my scenario, as the intended tether is between N8 (Symbian) and my ICS tablet. Second part of problem is will I have the same issue regradless of the platform as I maybe upgrading to either a iphone 4s or android but not immediately

1. Raghav Gupta

Yes...Download an app or root it

It's because that you might have purchased your tablet via carrier and have subscribed to their data plans which don't make your tethering wish easy to go.

Enable USB and Wi-Fi Tethering on Android Ice Cream Sandwich -

You can subscribe to tethering plans or else root your tablet -

Tethering on ICS

HOWTO: tethering with USB/bluetooth DUN

[FIXED+SOLVED] No more tether under ICS - limits ad hoc network connections

you have to root and android and perhaps with Joikuspot

4. Mike Case

Generally tethering can be re-enabled by rooting (it almost always requires a rooted device) and installing a third-party app for it. Just search "tether" in the Google Play store and you'll come up with a bunch of good results.

If you aren't familiar with rooting a device, I would recommend searching the forums at

They have threads for rooting just about every Android device out there, and are in general an exceptional resource for all things Anrdoid.

**Beware, though- rooting usually voids the manufacturer's warranty.

• n jones

Thanks for the heads up. As a newbie to Android, I'm unaware of this tool (rooting). Manufacturer (As much as I want to name & shame I won't yet) has stated it won't void my warranty. I will confirm my success/failure

5. Anay Chaubal

So, are you using the data connection from your tablet, on your phone? Why not try it the other way around? In case the tethering option in your tablet is disabled, then why not use the data plan from your phone in your tablet, or better yet, why not swap the sim cards and achieve the same? Since you have not mentioned which tablet you have, I am assuming that it is not one of the mainstream devices. Either way, posing this same issue on xda-developers will help you out more.