Can you help me understand Web 2.0 programming languages?

Joseph D July 19, 2013

I’m writing a paper of Web 2.0 in a group project and my part is focusing on the programming and below the surface aspects of the web. So far I have written about several of the common Markup Languages (Scribe, HTML, XML, XHTML, XUL) and I read the this article

//www.makeuseof.com/tag/programming-language-learn-web-programming/

and have found some great info about the primary programming languages (PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, ect).

I have taken some C++ in college, but don’t really remember anything about programming. From my understanding, the programming languages are made up of Markup Languages that are made of some sort of root code. Ultimately all these languages and sub-languages are just text code that is interpreted by the operating system by given tags or code or some software design all the way down the 1s and 0s, true/ false, empty/ full, however you want to call it.

If someone would be so kind as to provide me with a little more direction and a better understanding on web design and languages, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much,
Joseph

1. MakeUseOf TechGuy

Programming languages have nothing to do with markup languages, and there is no such thing as "root code". But yes, ultimately everything on a PC is represent as a series of binary 0/1s, but thats not really saying anything at all.

Programming languages (eg, PHP) are functional code: they define a set of actions to be performed on a set of variables, and produce an output. Some programming languages are higher level than others, meaning they accept more human readable code; whilst some deal with bytes and low level instructions. Some are interpreted, meaning they run as they are read or typed; while some are compiled first into machine code.

Markup languages (eg HTML) describe information. They dont contain instructions, they merely add to existing information. This bit of text is bold-> This bit is a header etc.

But none of this is really related to your paper. The only relevant markup language for the web is HTML and XML, the others are mostly dead. Scribe , AFAIK, is an HTML editor and not a language. For a paper on Web 2.0 - though it's debatable if that refers to the web nowadays or 5 years ago - I would focus on these key areas:

PRESENTATION: Talk about HTML and CSS; XML as a datastore, and JSON as the main way web services interact with each other (this is a key aspect of the modern web, don't leave it out). Javascript also plays a big role on the modern web, but much easier now due to libraries like jQuery.
    SERVER STRUCTURE: Traditional LAMP stacks vs modern scalable architectures such as Heroku (Platform as a service - PAAS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IAAS), like Amazon AWS.
    LANGUAGES: Traditional PHP or ASP, vs new generation of Ruby on Rails and Node.js