Can you help me pick a smartphone?

Rajaa Chowdhury December 25, 2012

I am evaluating to buy an Indian branded 5″ display phablet smarphone in the budget of INR 10,000 – 12,000 (US $1 – 55INR).

I have now narrowed down to

• Micromax A110 Canvas2 (Rs 9,990),
  • Intex Aqua 5.0 (Rs 9,990) &
  • Spice Stellar Horizon MI 500 (Rs 11,999).

However the Spice Stellar Horizon has a bigger battery at 2400 mAh Battery but is almost INR 2000 costlier also. The other two has a 2000 mAh Battery.

Can you people help me make by suggesting, which model I should opt for?

1. Meilin Dai

It seems that there is not many good Indian branded 5 inch smartphones and I have found many phablets in this page ,maybe you can check out it.

2. mohit kumar

Go for the smartphone which has more battery.

Brand wise, go for Micromax.

3. Réy Aétar

their customer support and service centre are horrible though micromax do repar ur phone but thats not upto the mark

for the money you want to spend do not expect miracles only compromise!

Mobile review: Intex Aqua 5.0
    http://www.themobileindian.com/reviews/569_Mobile-review:-Intex-Aqua-5.0
    Intex Aqua 5.0 comes with a dual core 1 GHz processor. Though, it performs well during normal tasks, it's not in the league of dual core's from Samsung, HTC and Sony. The smartphone did freeze on couple of occasions while playing high on graphics game. However closing few apps does make it a bit faster, which means that while you can play graphic intensive games (avoid too heavy games) on this, you should keep clearing RAM.

The issue lies in just 512 MB RAM that remains 60 per cent full even you use task manager to kill all apps, and while most phones in this category have the same specs the problem is also common. The phone has 2 GB user usable inbuilt memory which is good for this price.

Review: Spice Stellar Horizon Mi-500
    http://www.techtree.com/content/reviews/2033/review-spice-stellar-horizon-mi-500.html
    Spice Mi-500 has a 5 inch capacitive touchscreen. It has a 1 GHz dual core Snapdragon processor. along with Android ICS operating system and 512 MB RAM (Internal memory enables faster performance). It has 4 GB of internal memory expandable to 32 GB.Thanks to the dual-core CPU, the device doesn't show much lag. It easily handles popular games such as Temple Run and Fruit Ninja. Don't get your hopes too high though — it's not the ideal phone to play Dead Trigger. If you're interested in synthetic benchmarks, this phone scores 5212 in AnTuTu. Despite having a bigger battery we do not expect it to have better battery life than the smaller battery of Mi-425, but will be decent enough for most users.

Micromax A110 Canvas2
    http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-12-17/news/35869058_1_8mp-camera-dual-core-micromax
    Performance from the phablet was average. Even though it has a dual core processor, the 512MB RAM makes the phone feel sluggish if more than five apps are running in the background. You only get 2GB internal storage, so an 8GB (or more) microSD card becomes a necessity. You can consider the Intex Aqua 5.0 (Rs 9,990) or the Spice Stellar Horizon (Rs 11,999). Both offer a 5-inch display with similar hardware specifications, but the Spice offers a larger 2,400 mAh battery comapred to 2,000 mAh on the Micromax.

I absolutely agree that I cannot expect a NoteII performance within this price range. :) However, I want to pick up the best performer among the three mentioned atleast. I absolutely thank you so much to answer and compare them in such a structered manner. :) I think a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor against unnamed processor of the other two, 2400 mAh battery instead of 2000 mAh and a 4GB internal storage instead of 2GB in the other two is tilting my decision in favor of the Spice Stellar Horizon Mi-500 . I think paying the INR2000 premium is justified to get those extra features. Thank you, now I am decided on the Spice Stellar. :)

glad you made your mind hope you will enjoy at full your new phone:)

According to reviews,Micromax is considered as the best budget smartphone with a phablet like specs.It has good screen and runs temple run which assures you that it's not a phone which will bog down on heavy graphics and hence has a good CPU and GPU performance.Its looks suggests trying to mimic Samsung Galaxy S III.

Regarding battery life and total capacity,although it has lesser capacity,you can compensate for it by purchasing additional Micromax branded batteries.

Susendeep,

I was more or less was decided on Micromax, until I read reviews which says that the phone starts lagging the moment there are 4 to 5 apps running at the backgroud. That only started me to evaluate other options but can't ignore the fact that Micromax is the most established brand. Am in a dilemma .

6. Ashwin Ramesh

The features of these phones look pretty much the same. But I guess the Micromax has an 8 MP camera. I do not know how reliable Intex mobiles are (So Intex is out of question for me ;) ). If I were you, I would go for the Micromax A110 Canvas2 even if the Spice has a 2400 mAh battery. Micromax is very reliable. Now its up to you. I can narrow your choice to between Spice and Micromax. Now its up to you :)

7. Fawad Mirzad

I have more satisfaction of micromax brand. and they have had good product life. can't say some thing about these other two products life.
    The most important point in choosing smartphone is its design. which i like the Micromax A110 Canvas2 .
    The battery in micromax is not so bad. 2000 mah.
    Other specifications are almost same.
    If i was to select i may have purchased the micoromax one.