Can you help fix frequent IE8 hang and freeze issues?

Dev J August 23, 2013

I have Windows XP Professional installed on my desktop. Utilities I have installed are Advance System Care by IObit and Quickheal Total Security Anti- Virus. Other systems being normal I have been experiencing extreme frustration with Internet Explorer 8. It runs very, very slowly and tends to hang or freeze midway through a browsing session; I have to force shut the session and start all over again. I need this browser as certain old programmes are supported only by this browser, especially online trading and banking transactions which require the use of a virtual keyboard. Moreover, Internet Explorer is the only browser whereby I can save files in .mht format.

Can anyone help me by offering a solution?

P.S. I have no problems with Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. I also regularly clean up my system and delete junk/temp files and defrag the drives every month.

1. David C

One thing to check is the cache size. It should be around the 50MB mark (arguably a bit more or less), but it may have defaulted to a much higher figure.
    Open Tools=>Internet Options
    In "Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and History", click on Delete and choose delete the files.
    In the same section, click on Settings, and if the figure is set much higher than 50 MB, change it to 50 or thereabouts.
    Close the Internet Options window and see if the browser is working better.

• D V Godbole

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. The cache size is at 50Mb mark. Deleting historu and temp files has improved things appreciably. The main consolation is that the browser page has not "frozen" as yet and am able to browse, albeit a bit slowly. As long as my purpose is served, I am happy.

3. Guy M

I recommend using a different browser, mostly because IE doesn't really support web standards very well. Opera saves .mht and there are extensions for Firefox that give it that ability as well.

Mozilla Archive Format and UnMHT are two such extensions.

• D V Godbole

Thank you for your advice. However, saving files in .mht format is just one of the things I need from IE browser. The main reason is using the IE browser for online banking transactions and on-line trading in stocks and equity market which requires you to log in using virtual keyboards. Majority of banks and trading sites in our country are supported by Internet Explorer. Mozilla, Opera or Chrome just doesn't work for me though otherwise they are excellent alternatives.

BTW, thank you also for letting me know about the extensions. Will certainly try it.

4. Silhoutte J

Clean Boot

Test in a Clean Boot environment to see if this issue is related to interference from other services / programs:

1.Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. (If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.)

2.On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3.Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4.Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5.Click OK.

6.When you are prompted, click Restart.

7.Log back into your Account.

• D V Godbole

Dear Silhoutte J,

Thank you for posting your suggestion and a possible solution to my IE problem.

However, before proceeding further I would appreciate if you could kindly clarify if I have to type msconfig in Start> Search or Start > Run box. Whatever limted knowledge I have about computers I have seen technicians run commands in Run Box. Also, I am unable to locate the General Tab. Please clarify. In the meantime wish to thank you for your effort of trying to solve my problem.

• D V Godbole

Thank you so very much for your valuable suggestion. I clicked on the link you sent me and followed the instructions given therein. I think this has done the trick as the permonce of Interent Explorer has improved dramatically without the browser page freezing mid-way through a session. I can't thank you enough.

The first place to start would probably be to run Internet Explorer without add-ons
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

They are usually the cause for crash related issues.

If that works then you simply have to go into the Internet Options > Programs and at the bottom click "Manage add-ons". Disable them one-by-one and test IE until you found what was causing the issue.

• D V Godbole

I have always used Internet Explorer without any add-ons. I agree that add-ons are the cause of crash related issues. My problem came up after I formatted my PC some time ago.

Thank you for your suggestion. Much appreciated.