Can you give me some tips about jailbreaking my iPhone running iOS 6.0.1?

myglobe November 12, 2012

I have downloaded “redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3” and “iPhone4,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw” (I am not sure if it is for 4S). The problem is that when I manually select the IPSW, Redsn0w says “The IPSW is not supported by this version of Redsn0w” so I have 2 questions:

1. Does the ipsw I downloaded belong to iPhone 4S?
2. Which Redsn0w update should I use with it to jailbreak my iPhone without any problem?

1. Vishal Srivastava
  2. Giggity Goebbels

I think 4s cannot

3. Joseph Darwin Co

there is no available jailbreak on iPhone 4S yet.. only on A4 devices like iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G and iPhone 3GS have tethered jailbreaks. it means your tethered jailbroken devices cannot be turned off, because you will do the jailbreaking process again,

4. Harry Barnes

download the latest firmware, and then try again, if it fails, then try again but this time download a different firmware. Keep trying different firmwares until you find one that works with redsnow.

5. Alisha Hamm

i wouldnt do it, your cellular carrier will know, and they will drop your contract. also it has caused the iphone to screw up in a way that can only be fixed by purchasing another one. i worked for a cell phone carrier, and this happened hundreds of times. its really not worth it.

6. Yiz Borol

I would highly recommend against jailbreaking unless you really know what you're doing.

• Drew Butler

You can always restore to the ipsw that the device originally ships with. Unlike "they" lead people to believe there is actually a very low possibility that you will hard-brick a device. Most people that think they "Bricked" their device are just unaware that it is a soft-brick and it can be fixed with a little work. I do recommend to always read thoroughly about Modding your device and ALWAYS BACKUP. Anyways... Everyone have a good day :).

• Yiz Borol

Right, I agree that most times it's not truly bricked, the trouble is that most people don't know that... so they freak out also it causes unnecessary problems.
        If you understand computers and software and consider yourself and "advanced" user than by all means jailbreak, but know that it does cause instability and you have to be prepared for that.
        I jailbroke my 3GS but it just couldn't handle the load so I'm back to vanilla iOS.

• Drew Butler

Very true^. Sorry if I came off wrong, I do that sometimes lol.. I got away from iOS about a year ago and just don't mess with it anymore but if anyone needs help rooting or adding a custom ROM and kernel on an Android device let me know. Feel free to add me on google+.. Username is drewbulter44

• Ahmed Khalil

me too do not like jailbreaking

• Giggity Goebbels

Actually can jailbreak easily

7. Daniel Ooi

1. yes, it belongs to your iPhone 4S if not iTunes will prompt you an error when you are trying to restore. source: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6/Restore/041-7181.20120919.lEuOK/iPhone4,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw

2. You should use the latest version of redsnow available. Jailbreak is compatible with pre-A5 powered iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G only. it will NOT work on any of the newer devices. It is also limited to tethered-boot for now.