Can you advise me about switching from a Windows PC to a 2012 iMac?

Sabir Sawant February 20, 2013

Hi,

Am a bit of a green horn when it comes to technology and could do with some tech advice here. My PC is about 4 years old and have been mulling over moving from PC to the recently launched iMac 2012 model. So would it be worth it? I use my PC for surfing the net, Word and Excel applications, watching movies, torrents (I know) and the odd game or two.

I am hoping that if i do invest in an iMac, the system should last me at least 4-5 years till the next upgrade.

My areas of concern are:

1. How much time would it take to adjust to Mac OS X?
  2. Do macs require that all softwares be original?
  3. What are the most common Mac problems?

Might add that am considering the move since am entitled to a 40% subsidy from my dad’s office. Also would like first hand advice from an owner – I am done with the tech reviews.

Thanks for your advice!

1. julien croy

Macs are overpriced, you can easily buy an amazing pc computer with the less money than the cheapest macs. Macs are mainly good for build quality, but there simple inferface is a plus. If you willing to spend a lot of money for an average computer then buy a mac. Now there are many more computers out there that are on the same level as mac. Its your choice!

2. Eddie Foulger

It took me just three days to work out how to use OS X 10.4 and it was easy from there and now I am working with shell commands this is fun as you can watch star wars via terminal (mac equivalent to command prompt). It is very intuitive and took my Grandpa just 3 weeks with some guidance to work it out completely and there it is OS X is easy to get along with once you get the basics, the basics are shown to you as you set up you mac for the first time it is a worthwhile investment and has made me good with almost all main softwares of today.

check in your town if they are some organizations (town council for instance....) that do offer initiation courses (free!) MAC/PC, join them, this will make things faster. At least you will know what to expect and if you do not like MAC then going back to Windows will be easier (financial!).

5. Justin Pot

I think you're going to be happy with the switch. There might be an adjustment, but overall you're going to like your new machine. OS X is easy to get used to, in my opinion – and will probably be less of an adjustment for your than Windows 8 would be.

If you're like most users, you spend most of your time in the browser. Chrome and Firefox are both available for Mac, so odds are the way you spend most of your time on the computer won't change at all.

You will need to buy another version of Microsoft Office: your PC version will not work on your new machine. Keep that in mind.

6. Alonso Aguirre

How much time would it take to adjust to Mac OS X?

It is kind of easy to set up a mac the way you like it, maybe the first two weeks even a month you struggle a bit, but then when you understand how it works it is easy, and smooth.

Do macs require that all softwares be original?

it is suposed that yes, all macs need original softwares but actually that doesn't matter at the end, if you find a cracked app, or the serial key, the app would run perfectly. If you want to avoid updates, there is a program called "Little snitch" which will control as you desire which connections each application could have over the internet, you can deny everything or you can allow certain things, it is all up to you.

What are the most common Mac problems?

The most common problems that I have encountered on mac, is that there are certain apps, which only exist for windows, but you can handle those problems with a virtual box with any windows OS.

7. Anish Parameshwaran

1. Macs are generally easier to adjust to. Especially since now Win 8 came out and has such a steep learning curve, why not just learn an easier OS by switching to a OSX? Many of my friends ranging from power users to 'computer illiterate' as they call themselves have been able to transition to macs with ease.
    2. There is the Mac App Store, which offers many apps to be downloaded for free or at a certain price. However, if there is a software that is specific only to windows, you have the ability of having a small portion of your Mac's hard drive running Windows, so that you can run those Windows specific programs.
    3. It used to be compatibility but once the ability to run windows was introduced, that issue had disappeared. I can't think of a dire issue for mac users.

Also, on the plus side, if you ever have trouble with a mac, you can take it to the apple store and they'll help you out free of charge. This isn't true with PCs since hardware companies (HP, Dell, Lenovo) often tend to blame the issue on Microsoft's Windows OS and Microsoft will blame the hardware manufacturers.

It seems that you want a simple machine with long term period of use in mind without having to pay much more than the price of the device itself.

iMac is costly as according to your usage.

I hope while reading reviews of iMac,you had also seen reviews of the OS inside it and the issues associated with it.You can have a look for some of them below -

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/os-mountain-lion-perfect/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-quirky-mountain-lion-features-apple-fix/

You can install software " only from " Mac app store.So,you can't sideload any other softwares.So,no case for installing non-genuine software so more expenses.

Moreover,Apple has shifted much of its manpower towards development of iOS and has slowed down release of patches to the desktop OS.

Now,it's your turn to decide.

• Macwitty

Sorry, but you can install software from whatever developer you want. There is some very good and often used software like clone apps that will never turn up I Mac App store. Some developer also sell both on there own site and in Mac App Store.

9. Tanveer Ahmed

Not more than a month

no its not necessary you can download almost any software from torrent

What are the most common Mac problems?
    Mac's are mostly used by the professionals who do a lot of video editing, rendering, etc.
    They are very expensive.In price of a mac you can build a PC which will last for 5 years.
    most of the games cannot be played on mac

If you are a really good at adjusting to a newer interface and newer operations, then i don't see any problem in learning. the price you are suggesting good and it might do you good. I do not own a Mac but heard they have a resale value (if you ever want to switch).

11. Jan Fritsch

1. Differs from person to person. I dropped into the position of a Mac sysadmin without having used a Mac before. After ~3 months I was able to survive a day or two without a colleague present, probably another 6 months to do everything on my own.

2. Macs are not really different from Windows in that aspect. But a lot of the useful software does require internet activation or is free in the first place.

One thing you have to consider is that you can't just use the "EXE" of your Windows software on your Mac. Macs do not even know what "EXE" is. You will need to get the Mac versions or an alternative application for the Mac. Some things may simply not be available.

If you want to use actual Windows software on the Mac you will need to setup virtualization e.g. using Parallels, VMware Fusion or the free VirtualBox.

3. It sooo depends on what you do on the Mac but in general issues are rare and rather easy to fix. Worst case you have to delete the Property List (plist) file of the application (a settings file) and their "Application Support" directory (where application specific data is stored).

Is it worth it? I guess the easiest way to find out is to write down the top 5 applications you use on a daily basis and the top 5 applications (e.g. the games) you use on occasion.

If they are not available for the Mac you may have your answer already (although there are solutions with Boot Camp, Virtualization, wine).