What can be the uses of Powerline adapters in addition to extending Internet connection?

Drsunil V May 5, 2014

1. Kweitkamp

Powerline adapters allowed me to place the DVR unit for my home security system on a different level of my townhouse than my router. The DVR requires a hardwire connection to the router but I was unwilling to drill holes to run cable from the lowest level of my townhouse where the router is located to the main level where I wanted the DVR. The powerline adapter allowed me to directly connect the DVR and in fact, provided a second ethernet connection so that I could connect a WiFi extender on the main level of the house to strengthen the signal to the third level of the townhouse.

Jan gave the basic answer. It's a way of avoiding to have to lay network cabling. They don't really "do" much besides that. However, having a network connection around the house allows you to extend your WiFi range (we've covered this extensively : - )), to bring the network to awkward parts of the house (e.g. the attic), to easily connect network-aware devices such as TVs or fridges (mind you, if you can afford a network-aware fridge, you can probably afford to have workmen install nice UTP cabling throughout the house).

It's all a matter of context. One of my clients has a very nice custom-built house with an beautifully networked office upstairs. Unfortunately, the main telephone socket in the house is in the utility cabinet downstairs, so he has to plug in the router in the office, and his ADSL signal is not great. If he had a power socket in the utility cabinet, he would have been able to have the router down there, powerline his way up to the office and have a better signal. Unfortunately, there's plenty of power in the utility cabinet, but not a single power socket...

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Please specify 1) which network aware devices having ethernet port? 2) a} Which network devices with non-ethernet port can work through powerline adapter? and b} how to connect such port ( usb or other ) to poweline adapter

• Oron J

Computers, printers, scanners, TVs, IP cameras, some security systems, network equipment, some scientific equipment (I've seen electron microscopes with Ethernet), a lot of retail equipment(Point of Sale terminals, barcode scanners, scales..,), Some home automation devices ("internet of everything") are networked, but often using wireless technologies (wifi, Bluetooth, mobile & NFC).

You can connect Ethernet ports to other types of networks with bridges. There are Ethernet to WiFi bridges, and other types too but I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with those products.

Why do you want to know all this?

• Drsunil V

Kindly note that the query was posted , so that purchased adapter pair could be utilized optimally and maximally

HomePlug technology application: HDTV Networking
    http://www.homeplug.org/tech/app_hdtv_networking

Powerline adapters are really just network bridges. Their only use is to bridge Ethernet from point A to point B via the existing power cables.

Given the usual environment they are used in you could easily buy a 50m Ethernet cable instead and safe a lot of money if you don't mind having the cable lying around half-way through your home. More-so you wouldn't have any sacrifices in speed.