Can I use two voice recording apps on an Android device simultaneously?

Jai November 30, 2014

I have two voice recorder apps on my Samsung Note 4. Can I use both apps simultaneously to record voices (discussion in a meeting)? I want to use both to make sure I have a recording of the meeting.

1. Vinod Tiwari

Not Yet.. You can't rright now

2. Jessy2014

I'm afraid not. its just similar with ur media player in Android smartphone, two media/audio/voice recording apps will crash if running simultaneously.

3. DANIEL PAUL

I have tested TotalRecall Call Recording in my Note 4 its working fine ..if you want to try please download from here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.killermobile.totalrecall ..Hope you like it !

4. stereomatch

On a different tack - if the concern of original poster is fault-tolerance or risk-reduction - using two apps to record more reliably - then the effort may in fact raise the risk of failure.

Since the act of using one recorder is a common one and most bugs have been removed.

But when you combine two or more apps which are trying to compete with resources then you are creating a situation that is more likely to lead to unforeseen issues - since this is a rare use case.

So suggestion would be that if you really want to be sure to record then you may consider using two separate devices - instead of just overloading the same one device - which are likely to spontaneously restart anyway (can happen on android though rarely).

One way you could ensure recording is happening is to use a ear-phone with the Amazing Audio app mentioned above - plug in the ear-phones before you start recording - and you will be able to hear in real-time (slight delay inevitable on android vs. iOS !) what is being recorded. Hopefully this will give you some additional security. The downside with that app is that it is not a background recorder - so you would have to set phone to Airplane Mode if you wanted to really not be interrupted by a phone call etc. (and you would have to be careful with Home or Back button presses). Although with ear-phones you would know immediately if recording was interrupted (from vibrate feedback and beeps in your ear). The app is also highly usable by blind users - we designed it with the help of the Eyes-Free google group. If your phone supports it - you can hear in stereo in your ear-phones as well.

-stereomatch

yes, perhaps many applications are not tested in dual situation

5. stereomatch

I tested running one app first - starting recording - and then starting a second audio recorder app.

The result - the first app recorded the whole session (it was a background recorder app). The second audio recorder app did not record anything (because the microphone resource was probably taken up by the first app).

Tested on a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - running Android 4.4.4 Kit Kat.

First app was Easy Voice Recorder - which is a background recording app.
    Second app was Amazing Audio Voice Recorder - which is not a background recording app - is designed to stop recording if interrupted (for voice memos).
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coffeebeanventures.easyvoicerecorder
    Easy Voice Recorder
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stereomatch.amazing.audio.voice.recorder
    Amazing Audio Voice Recorder

6. Jai

Thanks guys.
    HR14, an "android expert" friend of mine confirmed what you have said. Both apps will compete for the use of hardware resources. If the first app is already recording, the second app will not work due to "hardware resources being used by another app."

thanks for your confirmation, if somehow the first application can share the sound while recording with the second application then perhaps it can work, maybe your android friend can code an application.

7. Like I want you to know

No lol.

8. Like I want you to know

I think not. Mostly for me it doesn't work but maybe you have a more advanced Samsung Note. You can go on the internet and find out or download an app that would let you but for right now I'm saying no
    : )

well you need supported by hardware and kernel both applications will try to get the same hardware. you can try at home to see if it will work for you