How can I use an ordinary mic and headphone headset with a tablet?

Sunil November 21, 2014

How to use mic-headset combo for external mic use in Android KitKat tab? The tab is Dell Venue 7 (non voice call version). On plugging in the combo , the headphones work for headphone pin , but mic pin plugging does not allow mic access? Next , if mic can be enabled too, then how to use both headset and mic simultaneously for say meeting (startmeeting), as both pins are different and socket is one. OTG would not work as became clear from earlier queries.

1. Sunil

Thanks. That is a nice answer. If the two pins do not work for both mic and headset via USB adapter , then how can you be sure that the splitter would work?

In your second paragraph , the headset worked with tab but it's mic pin failed to input sound to work as external mic. So pl clarify whether the headset-combo would work for mic with splitter/usb adapter?

• Oron J

I'm a little confused Sunil - three responses from you to my one answer??

The splitter will work if your tablet uses a 3.5mm connector. If your device is 2.5mm, as some mobile devices are, then you'll need a similar splitter, but with a 2.5mm jack (the socket side will still need to be 3.5mm).

• Sunil

Thanks. Please weblink for splitter on e-comm portals mentioned

• Sunil

Thanks. I noted the weblink , in your response , with care. Would this work with Android tab ,

as many users use ear-phone with mic to receive phone calls in crowded places? Would such product work even for say , Startmeeting on Dell Venue 7 Kitkat tab? because I got headphones working only , not mic as external audio input ( in terms of mic ) for the tab.

Please tell , Does it have to have one pin for both headphones and mic to work?

• Oron J

Here's the thing, Sunil. Phones/tablets use a different connection than computers. The jack is the same diameter, but it includes both input and output lines (i.e. mic and headset), whereas ordinary headsets, for use with PCs etc, only have a connection for the headphones, and if the headset include a microphone, they have a separate jack for that.

The adapter I pointed to (I'm sure they're just as easy to get from other sources) will convert from one to the other, but ordinarily you'd get a headset that's _designed_ to work with a phone in the first place and then everything would work just fine.

• Sunil

Can you also please weblink the splitter on flipkart.com / ebay.in / amazon.in / snapdeal or others? as I noticed callmate splitter audio, but it says allows two headphones to tablet , not headphone+microphone.

• Sunil

The weblink you mentioned , says it is for PC , please tell would it work for tablet?

• Sunil

hi , Please tell whether this cable would work for both mic and headset : flipkart.com/callmate-asc-iphone-audio-split-data-cable/p/itmdh9nfhfjz35fc?pid=ACCDDRSYRHPX8F54

Is it for only ( output ) two pairs speakers or it would work for both input ( mic ) and headset ( headset )