How can I use Minikeepass on my iPhone?

May 30, 2014

I have just installed KeePassX, and Minikeepass on my iPhone. When I try to look at my database via Dropbox / Minikeepass, I can put in my password, but I have no option to put in my key file because in Minikeepass the key file option is set to none. I don’t seem to have any way of changing it. I have had a look in settings in Minikeepass but can’t find out how to change it. Help, this is driving me crazy.

1. Richard McKim

That help is pretty worthless, as are most helps when attempting to use keyfiles. What you'll need to do is temporarily rename your keyfile that you have stored in DropBox to "database".key. To further clarify, if your database is named topsecret.kdb, you'll need your keyfile to be named topsecret.key. Once you've done that, open up DropBox on your mobile, navigate to the keyfile location, select the keyfile, select the action button (looks like a box with an arrow pointing out the top, same button you used to get your database file from DropBox to MiniKeePass), then slect "Open In", then select MiniKeePass. Boom, you're done. You can now rename your kefile in DropBox back to whatever you had it named before. MiniKeePass should automatically select the kefile for you when you open your database file.

You can get help to use Minikeepass on iPhone by following the instructions in the below Makeuseof article -

KeePassX & MiniKeePass: A Free, Secure iOS & Mac OS X Password Solution

which states that -

".... After downloading and signing in to the cloud storage service of choice, open the respective mobile app and find the .KDB or .KDBX file you just created. When prompted, choose Open in… and choose MiniKeePass when asked to do so. Once complete, you have full access to your KeePass database on your iPhone.

MiniKeePass is a great little app, but it’s not much to talk about. You can view, create or delete entries, but you cannot change the master password or automatically sync back with your PC. It’s important to remember that changes you make here won’t be reflected anywhere else, for that you’ll need to export it using the share button provided.
    ..."