How can I use my Lenovo-provided recovery discs to rebuild my laptop?

Rebecca Z March 23, 2014

In November 2012, I wanted to reset my laptop to factory settings. You can see what happened here://www.makeuseof.com/answers/how-do-i-reset-my-lenovo-thinkpad-t430-to-factory-settings/. I used the recovery disc set the computer manufacturer gave to me. Before using the discs, the manual told me to go into the BIOS and set ‘OS Optimized Defaults’ to ‘Disabled’. Then I inserted the first disc. That disc gave me two options to select either ‘GPT partition style’ or ‘MBR partition style’. The booklet told me that it is recommended to select the ‘GPT partition style’. During the process, I noticed there were errors. The errors would say, ‘OS Recovery Disc # of # not working’, ‘This file already exists in recovery’, and ‘File is not found’. I am just wondering if that means the manufacturer gave me corrupted discs or I did something wrong each time I put the discs in, like I should have maybe selected the “MBR partition style’ instead. I tried to recover the laptop with the discs three times. Does that sound like the discs are corrupted? If so, does that mean I cannot use them if I need to recover the laptop some other time?

Windows 8 Recovery
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&AliasID=WIN8-DWGRD
    If you installed any version of the Windows 8 (64–bit) operating system in GPT mode, select OS Optimized Defaults > Enabled.
    •Note: If you are using a ThinkPad or Lenovo V, B, K or E series notebook computer, after you set OS Optimized Defaults to Enabled, press F9, select Yes in the displayed window to confirm your selection, and then press Enter.

? If you installed any version of the Windows 8 (64–bit) operating system in MBR mode, select OS Optimized Defaults > Disabled.
    Important: ?If you do not perform this step after installing any version of the Windows 8 (64-bit) operating system in GPT mode, the operating system will run on your computer, but the following features that rely on a native UEFI-mode boot will not work: ?Secure boot
    ?Seamless boot experience
    ?Network unlock for BitLocker - This feature is available on computers that have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM).
    ?Encrypted Hard Drive (eDrive) support