Can I use a Chromecast without a PC?

cbe2005 February 23, 2015

Can I use a Chromecast without a PC attached to it?

I have three excellent but extraneous monitors collecting dust (eg 2 x Dell Ultrasharp 24″, 1 x LG 27″ HD) .

Can I use a Chromecast with these monitors, without a computer being attached. The LG has HDMI inputs, but the Dell’s do not.

I have searched extensively and only ever see references to connecting to “TV’s”. And if it will work, does it require the monitors to have HDMI or HDMI/DisplayPort inputs to work (I assume the appropriate HDMI to VGA, or DVI adaptor should work).

Many thanks.

1. Jackson

Kannon is right, the Chromecast is designed to be plugged into a HDMI port. Power support and the digital signal will be affected if you use a HDMI ->VGA/DVI converter.

It's better to repurpose the Dell monitors by plugging them into your current computer to achieve a multiple monitor setup.

I'm fairly certain that if you use an HDMI --> DVI converter, you will lose audio. Native HDMI is by far the best option for connecting a Chromecast.

4. DalSan M

HDMI inputs would be best, but you may be able to get HDMI to display port + audio out converters to connect to the other monitors. The latter option is not a cheap solution, but may be necessary for what you want to do: http://www.cablestogo.com/product/54179#info. An HDMI to VGA or DVI converter might be available, as well, but they aren't cheap, either. At these price points, you might as well seek out some cheap HTPC options as they would offer many more functions and abilities with the possibility of upgrades as needed.

5. Ben S

I just got a Chromcast a few months ago.

You don't need a PC, but you do need a TV/monitor with an HDMI port. As long as you have that,a place to plug the device in for power, and a Wifi connection, you just need a compatible device. A laptop works (you use a Chrome extension), but there are apps for Android and iOS as well.

The setup is done through the app, so I can't think of any reason why you would need a PC. The device connects to the Internet wirelessly and knows what content to show based on what you send to it.

You can do more with Chrome on a PC (you can cast any tab over to the Chromecast) but it isn't necessary.

• cbe

many thanks. the cost is low enough to warrant just going for it, but thought I'd see if other's have done the same first. Also, I have an HDMI to VGA adapter, so thought that might work for the older monitors...

• Jan F.

It depends. HDMI is a digital signal wherein VGA is an analog signal.

This setup will only work if your adapter is an "active adapter" or a converter, converting the digital into an analog signal. Even then I would not bet on it. Both the active adapter/converter as well as the Chromecast need some form of power source and a VGA monitor is usually not designed to power anything other than itself.

It might just work in your case but consider it a fair "warning".

• Oron J

Jan, ChromeCast comes with its own power adapter. I imagine the HDMI to VGA adapter also does. That said, I agree with you that success with VGA will be iffy.

Going out on a limb here, I imagine these Dell monitors may have another digital interface (mine has DVI and Display Port). A converter from HDMI to one of those digital standards would be both more straightforward technologically and a lot cheaper. It is likely to work much better.