Can I upgrade an Intel Core 2 Duo laptop to Windows 8.1?

Nazmul R March 8, 2014

Is it a good idea to upgrade an Intel Core 2 Duo laptop to Windows 8.1?

I have been using a Dell Studio 1435 laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo T6500@ 2.1 GHZ, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 32 bit Windows 7 OS). It is 4.5 years old and so slow these days but the hardware is still in good condition. Can I upgrade to 8.1 or will it make it even slower? Please suggest.

1. Your laptop is easily powerful enough to run Windows 7 or 8.1 (Windows 8 actually requires less computing power than 7).
    2. To check compatibility, run the Upgrade assistant as recommended by Hovsep (chances are it will be compatible, but why take a chance...).
    3. The slowness is almost certainly due to cruft (temporary files and other "rubbish" on the computer) and to disk fragmentation. If you only want Windows 8.1 as a way of speediing up your computer, you might as well just restore your computer to factory settings (which will wipe your disk and install a new copy of the system on it). If you want to upgrade to Windows 8, it would be best to do a clean install (reformat the C: drive and install Windows on it from scratch).

Upgrade Assistant: FAQ
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq
    Windows 8.1 is faster than Windows 7