How can I unlock my country-locked iPhone 4s?

Anonymous February 8, 2014

Recently I got a iPhone 4s from one of my friends in UK, but it is country locked, Can anybody help me to unlock it?

[Ed: you included several unrelated questions in the same text. Please submit them separately so you can get clear answers to each one]

1. Letsunlockiphone

First you need to know which network your iPhone 4S is locked to. Google for iPhone network checker (free version) or use premium checker at http://imei.org/ you need to know your IMEI.
    Then use method called Factory iPhone Unlocking

The only method I can suggest is to request the unlock at the provider it was bought from.

The provider will send an unlock request to Apple and a few minutes/hours/days later all you have to do is connect your iPhone to iTunes once for the unlock to become active.
    This will be official and won't be influenced by future iOS updates, it is permanent. The one downside of this method is that the provider usually charges you somewhere between $20-150 for that.

There are third-party unlock services on the internet but as far as my research goes none of them is a hundred percent reliable. Even those considered trustworthy have cases where the unlock was not performed on Apples end and therefor the device remained locked.

Any other way e.g. a modified SIM or jailbreaking plus unlocking is not fully reliable or future proof. With a jailbreak unlock you won't be able to update iOS without going through all the steps again and those modified SIM cards only last as long as Apple doesn't make bigger adjustments to the modem firmware.