How can I transfer software from an old PC to a new one?

Anonymous March 22, 2014

How can you transfer programs from old computer to new one? I know programs place different files to different folders. How do I get everything over to the new computer so it works??? Thanks

There is no universal answer to that. The general answer is that you should install again (see Ben's answer, Ninite and AllMyApps do an excellent job of simplifying the process).

Laplink PCMover does a good job of moving the majority of programs. However, even it won't work for everything. Some software is designed to be "tied" to a particular machine (e.g. many "activated" commercial packages), and it will not work after migration. Other things that will prevent the software from running properly include compatibility (e.g. if you migrate your software from Windows XP to Windows 8, and the software is not compatible with the newer system) and software utilising hardware specific features (common in audio & video editors, for example).

In short, if you specifically want to transfer your software, try Laplink PCMover, but the better solution is to reinstall, either manually or by using a batch installation utility such as one of those mentioned above.

2. Ben S

For quickly installing free popular programs, such as web browsers, media players, and antivirus software, I always recommend Ninite. It couldn't be easier: simply check all the programs that you want, get an installer for all of them, and Ninite does the rest of the work. No clicking "Next" fifty times, no toolbars, and your time is better spent. This won't work for everything, but I'll bet that it saves you a chunk of time somewhere.

Laplink PCmover, perhaps can help you, you have to contact them if interested in purchase.
    http://www.laplink.com/index.php/individuals/pcmover-for-windows-8/feature-overview

yoou can try some serial scanners to recover serial numbers, after installing application on the new pc just use the recovered serial numbers. Some software do not allow transfer applications so you have to contact the support.