How can I track the location of my stolen laptop?

Loganathan A September 11, 2014

My laptop was stolen on 29/8/2014 in Adelaide Aaustralia with 6,000 AUD inside the bag. I complained to the police but so far there’s been no reply. I have the serial number plus I extended my warranty. Can I track my laptop and also my money?

It depends on the laptop and the software you have on it, but in all likelihood the answer is no. If it's an Apple laptop, you may be able to track it down using the "Find my Mac" feature on their web site, or enable to webcam and get pictures of the thief. Similar features are available for PC laptops, and there are even some laptop with SIMS to enable tracking, but unless you set the software up in advance (and it doesn't sound like you have), then you're out of luck.

Unless your laptop has some tracking software or some sort of tracking chip/system installed and configured you will not be able to track it. Even then, it would still have to be connected to the internet and be turned on (or at least have a charged battery for the chip).

Since you did extend the warranty the best thing you can do is to forward the police report along with all the purchase details, serial number and whatever you have about the system to the manufacturer. They will then put a red flag on the device and no longer accept it for repairs.

As a more general reply: You should ask that question yourself before your mobile device gets stolen, right when you get it. Afterwords it is too late, period.