Can the touch function of a capacitive screen be disturbed by water?

DrSunil Vaswani March 13, 2013

Can touch function of the capacitive screen of an Android phone be hampered due to contact with water?

If yes, how to prevent it? Can screen guard help if water comes in contact?
And after contact, how to easily resolve the malfunction of touch screen?

1. Pratish Rao

hey capacitive touchskreens hav a downside from water..
    it can't accurately detect where the touch is because the water is affecting the capacitance...

2. Nitesh Badala

water put less effect on capacitive touch in comparison with resistive touch.but yes it will affect or slow down speed

3. Anish P

A few drops on the screen resulting from, say using your phone while it's raining, shouldn't have any permanent damage to your phone. Though I must say that in my experience with using my iPhone in the rain, the sensitivity of my touch was a little hazy on the screen, which was easily fixed by simply wiping off the screen. Screen protectors will help prevent scratches on the screen but still don't help with using a misty screened device.

Water Damage to Touch Screen
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-droid-charge/393895-water-damage-touch-screen.html

screen guard can protect from water, you have to close all edges of the phone, if the water goes inside the phone then it can make problems and perhaps the phone will not boot again.

Can you elaborate a little on this:

What malfunctions are you experiencing?

As far as I have seen,only high quality screen protectors protects screen form water drops.

If water gets inside of the screen, it will have an impact on performance. There are sealers that seem to be effective in preventing this type of damage. I don't know if it is available yet, but demonstration videos of Aridion are available on YouTube.

If you do end up with water inside of the screen, you can try to resolve the issue by sealing the device in a plastic bag filled with uncooked rice. The rice will absorb all of the available moisture essentially sucking it out of everything around it including the affected device.

The surface of the screen is not sensitive to water, as the capacitance in question is the layer directly below the surface. Of course, you should protect the screen from corrosive materials, such as salt water, but apart from that you're fine.