How can I tell how big my hard drive is and do I need to upgrade it?

February 25, 2014

I have a Laptop which I usually use for gaming. While I’m satisfied with the specs, the hard drive is too small i got mixed up between the RAM and the HDD when i bought it, apparently the RAM is 6GB but the HDD is 2GB? Here are some screenshots from my PC: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3.

What is the best way to upgrade it? Do I need to? My laptop is Asus, it also says “500GB HDD” on a sticker so i’m really confused.

Help!

if you download files, dvd movies....you need a bigger hard drive unless you use an external hard drive and you transfer the files to the external hard drive.

2. kihara

From the screenshots you have provided, your laptop's specs are as follows:
    RAM: 6GB
    Hard Drive: 185GB
    Processor: Intel Core i5 @2.6GHz

You have 38.1 GB of space remaining on your hard drive. Upgrading really depends on what you intend to install in the future. Check your installed applications and uninstall programs you don't use or rarely use.

We would need to see the sizes for any other partition on the hard drive to have a better idea on the size of the hard drive, but as far as what is seen, the size is 250GB. There is a system restore partition, and the actual size of the hard drive is less than the stated amount, which is why you see 185GB total hard drive space. For the sticker to state that there is a 500GB hard drive when it seems to be only half does not seem right, unless you inadvertently told them to put in a smaller size hard drive instead. If you need more disk space and do not want to get rid of files or transfer media files to a portable hard drive, I would purchase a larger drive at 7200RPM speed. If you can afford it, get the hybrid solid state hard drives so that the speed would be even faster for load times of programs and games. It is a decent balance between performance, size, and cost (about 25-30% higher price than a standard hard drive, but not as high as a solid state drive that has much less capacity). The highest sized solid state drive that I have seen available so far is 750GB, but at a price of about $340USD. 500GB is around $250USD.

If you wish to change the hard drive, I would recommend a program that would image the hard drive to the new drive so that you would not lose any data, and re-installation of most software would not be necessary. For more information on disk cloning/imaging, go here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-clone-your-hard-drive/ and here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-to-clone-and-copy-your-hard-drive/.

• Taif H

i didn't tell them anything i just looked at the specs online, bought it after i got it it was a little bet weird when i saw the 185gb i though it was a virtual drive that Windows 8 uses or something i checked with my friend and he has the exact samething, as for the sticker i'm looking at it right now as a matter of fact i'll take a pic of it if you don't believe me but i'll just write what i see on it for now:
      CPU: intel core t5-3230M, 2.6GHz
      ODD: DVD Sup. MTI
      Memory: 6GB
      OS: WIN8
      HDD: 500GB

• Taif H

for some reason i cannot take screen shots to the partition page so i'm just gonna write it here:
      OS(c:) primary partition: 185.96GB,
      DATA(D:) 258.GB Healthy(Primary P.)
      the Recovery P. is 20.01GB
      the rest are healthy and take a total of 1.5GB

• Oron J

The key information here is HDD: 500GB, which means that your hard drive really has the capacity of 500 GB (which is plenty!).
      Your confusion is understandable. On your machine, the hard drive is partitioned into several "volumes". The one containing the system (probably C:) is 185 GB in size. My guess is that there's also a drive D: which uses up most of the rest of the space, and there may be one or two smaller partitions as well.

At any rate, you don't need to replace your drive. If you don't want to store your data on a different partition, you can merge the C: and D: partitions using partition management software. Ask if you're interested and we'll all recommend our favourite software...

• Dalsan M

I was going by what was pictured, which started 185GB total storage on your C: drive. I believe you about the sticker, but as I said, we need information about any other partition to be able to tell what is going on and how much total space you have. Open File Explorer, and in the left hand pane should be a list of folders and local drives. Note the sizes for each drive, except any external drives like flash drives, and see if it comes to about 465GB total storage space. If it does, then the hard drive is 500GB. You may wish to perform Oron's suggestion and merge drives, or start using the other partition to store your pics, videos, and documents.

• Taif H

OMG yes i'm super interested lol i though it was for the recovery of the HDD but still too much and i'm about to make a disc for that.

• Dalsan M

Here is a list of several partition managers including links: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/free-partition-managers-windows and http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277170-32-best-partitioning-software. Many people highly recommend EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition.

Windows has a built-in Disk Management tool that can handle merging partitions so you don't have to download and install any third party software fit managing partitions. More information on how to access Disk Management here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/disk-management-windows-8.htm and how to use it here: http://techstrick.blogspot.com/2012/07/How-to-combine-partition.html?m=1.

• Dalsan M

Honestly, it is best to keep the partition and move your media files and documents to the partition that does not contain Windows. This is because of for any reason you have to reinstall Windows or format your C: drive, your files on the other partition would not be affected. Performance, although not always noticeable, may improve by separating media files from the operating system; fragmentation of the system partition would occur less and be less severe.

To move the folders and files, create folders with the same name, ie. My Documents, My Music, etc., on the D: partition, and then move the contents of each folder into the new folder on drive D:. After moving the files, you have to link the new folders to the user libraries. Right-click the new folders and then add them to the corresponding library folders (the library folders are only XML links to all related folders and files).

• Bruce E

If you are going to move the data DO NOT use the manual method Dalsan described above. Instead navigate to your profile directory. For each of these folders (Downloads, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos) in your profile, right-click it and select Properties. Click on the Location tab and enter the new location for the folder. Let Windows do all of the work of moving the files and updating all of the necessary links so there is less chance for mistakes. And if all goes well, it shouldn't break the ability of upgrading to future versions of Windows.